Chapter 12

No, it’s fine.” she finally answered him, and Kasser stared at her with narrowed eyes..

“Are you certain?” He asked which Eugene returned with a terse nod.

“Yes, don’t banish her from this palace.” She said with more certainty, this time, ignoring the ever prolonged stare the king was giving her…

It was clear to her that this Marianne was an important person to the King, and for him to refuse to grant the wish of the Queen before indicated a strong connection with her.

“Am I hearing you right? You no longer wish for her disappearance?” He asked once again, and once again Eugene nodded.

“Yes.”

The room was suddenly filled with silence.

“Alright, if you say so.” Kasser nodded his head, but never took his eyes off of her. This made Eugene feel more uncomfortable, she wished that he would finally leave her alone, better yet, allow her to be dismissed already.

What if I make more mistakes that would make him suspicious? She thought, worried that she’d give herself away any moment now…

“It’s rude not to look at the person you’re conversing with.” Kasser pointed out with a narrowed gaze, “Look at me.” He demanded, “You’re acting like a criminal, like you’ve done something wrong.”

Gulping in trepidation, she slowly raised her head and met the king’s gaze head-on. She soon schooled her expression back to cool indifference.

Deep inside, she was gawking at the sheer beauty the king naturally possessed. If they were back in her world, the real one she was supposed to be in, she could say without a doubt that people would pay a fortune just to look even remotely similar to him. He was that exquisite.

Now that she could see him up closer than before, his eyes seemed even more striking. The vivid blue glinted against the light in the room, shining like a crystal clear skies.

Still, this man was a killer, her thoughts warned. Despite his outward appearance, a monster lay hidden underneath that flawless skin.

She soon shook her wandering thoughts away when he caught him send her a smile, or a smirk should she look closer. She could feel her eyes begin to narrow as she blatantly stared at him, her imaginary shackles rising, anticipating something to go wrong…

“Did you have a change of heart while I was away from the castle?” He asked, tilting his head to the side, unashamedly still looking at her.

In retaliation and not one to be pushed around, Eugene gave him the most pleasant smile she could muster despite her wildly beating heart…

She thinks her chest is about to burst…

Of course, he is still Jin Anika’s husband. Any change with her, he would surely notice.

“Yes,” she replied, hoping it sounded confident, “I wanted to change.” Kasser perked up, genuinely curious.

“What for?”

“I want to make a difference for good. That is all.” Eugene finished, her breathing tensing ever slightly as the blue eyes continued to scrutinize her. Examine her, as if he could see what she was hiding with those sapphire orbs of his.

Indeed, the king’s eyes were somewhat different. The mere sight of him made her feel as if he could read her mind in great detail. Pull apart everything in her thoughts that make her, her.

“Is this the cause of your sudden change then?”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t pretend that you don’t know.” He said, his irritation seeping in his tone, “Our contract.” He finished and Eugene froze…