Chapter 80

Just as Eugene finally got ready, she turned around and saw Kasser standing, waiting for her to finish with not a robe in sight to cover him up, or hide his identity. A frown settled on her face as soon as she neared him.

“Where is your robe, Your Highness?” she asked him. Kasser looked at her, then down on his attire.

“I don’t need one.” He told her confidently, and Eugene pursed her lips.

“I wore mine to hide my eyes, despite not being noticeable,” she pointed out to him, “Your eyes, on the other hand, can be easily spotted by just about anyone.”

“I can change my eye color whenever I wish.” He explains, and suddenly, closed his eyes for a moment.

When he opened them, Eugene’s eyes widened, and she let out a small gasp of surprise. No longer were his irises in a light blue hue, but a darker shade, almost the same as the people in the kingdom.

“In poor lighting, it almost appears brown,” Kasser remarks, “The people would be none the wiser.”

“How did you do that?” she asked in amazement as she stared at his eyes.

“I,” he cleared his throat when she drew closer than expected, “It’s through my Praz, quite difficult to explain.” He said, and Eugene stepped back, realizing just how close they’d been.

“Still, what if someone recognizes you… even when you change your eyes?”

“No one would be able to identify me.” He placates her, and she frowns.

Unconvinced, she prodded on, “No one in the whole city knows your face?”
Shaking his head, “Why do you think they do?” he asked with a smile.

“Well, you take such frequent visits out the palace—” she began before stopping abruptly. It was then when realization dawned on her that despite the frequent visits the king makes outside of the palace walls, none of the people ever did dare to look upon his face.

No one probably had the courage to even look at him in the eyes.

And even if they did catch a glimpse of the king’s face, they couldn’t identify his face alone without his bright blue hair and eyes giving him away.

Even so, it still presented her with another conundrum. Even without the help of his eyes or hair, his face would still stand out in a crowd.

“Even if they don’t recognize you, you will still stand out from the crowd!” she exclaims, “I very much doubt I would have a peaceful trip tonight. Not when everywhere we go, people will turn their heads our way because of you.”

“You should wear a robe.” She added after a moment’s hesitation.

It was at that moment she realized the room had grown silent—she slipped up. She hadn’t meant to sound like that, but to the others, she might have appeared to be ordering the king.

Contrary to her belief, the whispers of the servants around them were for a whole other reason.

She couldn’t see it, but from their point of view, they were having a very intimate conversation. One that was usually heard between married couples.

Despite not doing it just for the show, Eugene thought having talks like this, like two friends, was completely normal.

The servants, as well as Marianne, stood around them, observing the couple. Amusement was evident in their eyes as they watched the exchange. They gave the impression they were closer than they actually were.

Fortunately, the tense silence was broken off by Marianne’s light chuckle.

“Your Highness,” Marianne interrupted, “Her Majesty, the Queen is right. It is an outing for her sake. It would be better for you to follow her suggestions.”