Chapter 82

When they finally arrived back in the palace, Eugene was immediately escorted into her room, and servants rushed around her, fussing on her condition. One even went as far as to summon the doctor.

As she watched all this, there was only one thought that ran through her head…

I’m never saying I’m sick again.

She sat obediently on her bed, letting them ask her questions, and answering honestly. Everyone was so concerned, and it might be an exaggeration on her part, but she was certain by this point everyone had gone in to ask about her well-being at least once.

She wanted to be alone, with her thoughts without people around her. The excuse of being sick completely backfired as it sent the people into a worried frenzy. She should’ve thought about it more. After all, when you’re a Queen, there was no such thing as being just ill.

It’s almost like the last time I pretended to be sick. Eugene thought, remembering the way people crowded around her, including doctors, when she first arrived in the palace. All were asking after her, about how she felt, any discomfort.

But unlike before, the King, too, was fussing over her. She even spotted the Grand Chamberlain by the corner, accompanied by his servants, taking up space at one side of her room. Despite the large space inside the bedroom, it was filled with people, making the entire place feel a little stuffy.

“Do you feel dizzy and nauseous?” the doctor asked her, and Eugene shook her head.

“No, it was only a little discomfort,” she said, trying not to let it show she was only pretending to feel sick. She only wanted to be alone, that’s why she faked having a light stomachache, to which she insisted she was fine now.

Another servant entered, in their hands were documents, which General Sarah had received. The papers were then handed over to the head physician, who scanned the documents briefly with a slight frown.

“You didn’t eat any more or different than usual…” the doctor murmured under his breath as he read through the document, and Eugene then realized what the servant had brought in.

Wait, does this mean everything that I eat was being recorded?

And while she had figured that being Queen would give her little to no privacy, it was still a chilling thought to know someone was always watching her at every waking moment.

Judging by the physician’s nonchalance on her knowledge about the records, it was completely normal for them to monitor what she’s been eating. After realizing this, another thought popped into her mind…

For Jin to have eluded everyone to sneak out, she’s pretty amazing. she thought in amazement. She was obviously no match to the cunningness of Jin.

“Well, there isn’t a clear explanation. Sometimes, psychological factors do have an effect on digestion. Fortunately, the condition does not seem to be severe, so I will prescribe some medication that will aid digestion. A short walk after your medication will help you recover, Your Majesty.” the head physician told her after further examination.

However, just before they leave entirely, Kasser interrupts, airing a new concern.

“Was there a change in the cooking staff recently?” He asked, and the physicians exchanged looks until one of the servants from the kitchen answered…

“There was a new assistant cook, Your Highness.” the servant said, “I can fetch him this instant.”

“No need,” Kasser said with a frown, “Look through the ingredients that were used in cooking the Queen’s dinner,” he ordered, and the servants bowed.