2

Nami was currently wrapping up a phone call with Vivi and Robin.  They were done with organizing their shopping plans for the following day.  There was to be a pop-up store that had all sorts of bargained high-end brands such as Criminal and Nami especially was looking forward to the deals. 

"One quick question before I go," said Vivi, "Are you sure you guys aren't dating?"

"Me and Luffy? I'm sure."

Nami smiled as she finished up her fruit bowl.  It was extra dessert after her mum's cooking.  She had a dorm at university she shared with some girls but she was home for the summer vacation back in her old room.  It felt great to be home.  Food was in galore and Bellemere made sure she was spoiled silly. 

She spotted a notification on her screen.  Luffy had sent her a video of some kind.  It was no doubt a funny one and she couldn't wait to finish up her talk with her friends to have a look. 

"It is humanly possible for a guy and a girl to be friends, you know."

"We know but you and Luffy are so close. And you look so good together."

Robin was silent on the other line.  The only thing that could be heard was the sound of turning pages but she was listening nonetheless.  It had always been like this. 

"You think so too, don't you Robin?"

"Yes.  You two are simply meant to be."

"Tell us honestly.  You like Luffy, right?"

"Not in the way you think."

"Why not?"

Nami sweat-dropped. 

"It's not what we want.  Case closed. We value what we have and are perfectly fine with how things are."

"What if Luffy finds someone he has romantic interest in?  Things won't remain the same."

"I know that."

"Luffy is a strikingly handsome young man."

"Even I think so," admitted Vivi.  He isn't a boy anymore."

"Well date him." Nami rolled her eyes.  Her best friend had never dated anyone.  She teased him once about the girls who looked his way but he didn't seem affected by it.  He wasn't interested in them in a romantic sense and what she observed, he wasn't interested in boys either. 

"I would date him but I'd hate to come between you two.  Any future girlfriend of his would feel that way.  The truth of the matter is that one day, maybe sooner than later, it might be best that the both of you forget about each other.  It would only be fair to your future partners."

"..."

"Are you still there, Nami?"

"Yes. I'm still here."

"You do understand what I'm trying to say, right?"

"I understand completely.  I've given it some thought before but I'll never bring myself to forget about Luffy or pretend that he seizes to exist.  Luffy is special to me but when the time comes, I'll know my limits.  He's a great guy and any girl lucky enough to have him, I'm sure he'll make them happy.  Even happier than he makes me.

"I wouldn't be his best friend if I didn't support him.  I'll support him for as long as time."

"You really care about him a lot, huh?"

"I do."

"How exactly did you guys meet?" Robin at this point had closed her book and was finally in the mood for a discussion.  "I've been meaning to ask."