9

Two hours had passed since then and Nami laid wide awake with Luffy lying across her chest. 

It was around 8:00 pm no doubt and Nami wanted to make the most of the night.  Like eating for example.  And exploring. Luffy would have been up for that more than she would but he surprised her.  He must have been really tired. 

She glided her nails through his hair on the nape of his neck and felt him move.

"Luffy."

"..."

"I know you're awake."

"I'm not."

The bedside lamp was switched on and Nami glared at his crown.

"Get off.  You're heavy like an anchor, you know? And I'm hungry."

"...Fine."

When he left her chest and arms, Nami clung to him again, their eyes met for a split second before she brought him back close.  His cool cheek hit her breast and her hand was in his hair again.  The next wrapped halfway around his broad back. 

"On second thought, let's stay like this a little longer."

"But you said-"

"I know what I said, Luffy."

Luffy said nothing.  He didn't particularly dislike the contact.  It was a dream but the problem was that he too was hungry.  And a hungry Luffy wasn't always the nicest.

"I'm not a child, Nami."

"Yeah.  I know.  You're a man, right?"

Her words did the trick and he succumbed to her warmth and forgot about hunger completely. 

Her nails went a little higher and Luffy's toes curled.  It was the best. 

"We've been friends for a long time, Luffy.   Over three years... We're practically married," Nami laughed but Luffy didn't feel her mirth. 

"Three years is a long time," he said. Nami agreed. 

"For the times I've been a jerk to you, I'm sorry.  Just know that I feel terrible about it and take no pleasure in seeing you upset.  I'm sorry for those times I've been less than a friend to you."

"I'm sorry too."

"You're forgiven.  You're so good I don't want you to ever think that I take you for granted... And Luffy?

Nami's voice cracked.

"Yeah?"

"I love you so much.  No matter what, please don't stop being my friend."

Nami's hands rubbed her face and eyes.  She hiccupped and sobbed a little and Luffy rose and gathered her to him.  His expression gentle and pained.

He didn't like it when Nami was sad.  She felt things strongly but he hated how hard she was on herself at times. 

"I'm here, Nami."

She nodded in his neck, grasped the back of his shirt and squeezed her eyes shut allowing the last of her tears to frolic away.  Nami didn't bother counting the seconds.  Time was no longer her friend.  It didn't matter when Luffy was there.  When with him, time was the complete opposite.  It was her worst enemy. 

i

Luffy was on the floor, holding both Nami's hands while she sat on the bed.  He gave both hands a tight squeeze.  She was getting better by the minute but as she smiled at him, a tear each escaped from her eyes and Luffy was quick to wipe them away.