6

"To-chan, is Luffy home?"

Dragon fought back a smile on his mean-looking face. His son's best friend had called. Every time she called him dad, it made him happier in ways he couldn't explain. It didn't help having a stupid son. Nami was like a daughter to him. He really wanted Luffy to marry her already. Make her a part of their family.

"He is but he isn't feeling well at the moment. He should be resting."

Just then, Luffy crawled downstairs looking as groggy as ever, rubbing his aching gut.  He poured himself some water and headed back to his room. He didn't look so good.

"Luffy's sick?

"It's food poisoning. I'll tell him you called."

"Thank you... Can I come over? I'm worried about him."

"Everything will be fine-"

"Please, To-chan."

Her persistence won Dragon over and Nami was there in no time.

Luffy sat in the living room and groaned at the empty feeling in his stomach. He had no appetite throughout the day and the lack of food in his stomach was so unnatural, he did not feel like himself.

He was fresh out of the shower. Would have been in his room but it stank of vomit and his sheets were in the wash. It was hot but it would have to do.

The doorbell rang but before he could answer it, his dad was way ahead of him.  Luffy heard the shuffling of shoes and in popped Nami.  When their eyes met, he felt the usual spark in his veins.  No one but Nami had that effect on him.

She went over to him in haste like a nurse tending to a dying patient.

Luffy smiled weakly and sat up as best as he could.   He watched curiously as his best friend pressed a palm to her forehead then he allowed her to groove fingers in his hair, bringing his forehead close to touch hers. A warmness that wasn't there before, boiled in the pits of his stomach.

"You okay?" came her soft voice and Luffy void of speech nodded.  A toothy grin evolved on his lips.

Nami had such a soothing voice when she was being extra nice to him.  Lately, they had been getting along too well, better than ever and Luffy didn't mind if she came to talk his ears off.  He could listen to her talk all day. 

"I'm sorry for coming over when you're not well. You need the rest and I was-"

"Worried?"

Nami nodded and took his hand and stared at their wrapped appendages.

"I came as soon as I could."

Luffy could tell.

She wasn't wearing her fancy dresses or clothes, her face was void of that stuff she took hours to apply and her hair was held up loosely by a red scrunchie.

Instead, she wore an oversized T-shirt over some shorts. The shirt in mention had a stain of ink and so did her hands. A pair of spectacles hung from the collar. Her few freckles scattered on her nose and cheeks she always tried covering up were on full display and her lashes were fluttery and the colour of light orange peels. He was so used to seeing them coated with black mascara that he took a while to admire the subtle difference. It did not matter to him though. Either way, Nami was cute. This Nami in particular was especially cute.

"My dad told me but you have nothing to worry about. I'll be okay."

"What did you eat anyway?"

"You don't wanna know."