4

Y/N's POV:
Y/n cleared her throat as her mother looked back at her with confusion.

"Uh...these are my friends from school. This is Aiura and Saiki."

She narrowed her eyes in suspicion, "friends on the first day? That's not like you Y/n."

Aiura walked in front of the girl and stuck out her hand, "Hi I'm Auira! It's very nice to meet you Mrs.L/N, you have a lovely home."

The woman simply stared at the girl and shook her off, her attention landing on Saiki. 

"You're awfully quiet aren't you?"

Saiki forced a smile, "I'm sorry," he said gritting his teeth, "I'm Kusuo Saiki, it's nice to meet you."

Y/n let out a cool breath. It was obvious he had read her mother's thoughts. Y/n understood his frustration. She often tried to avoid tuning into 'bitch radio.' 

"Are you sure these are your friends Y/n? They're so..." she stared at them up and down, "...obvious."

Auira and Saiki looked at each other. She had said something similar to Saiko in class and were still unsure what it meant. 

"Yep. Just trying something different. Hey, I actually remembered they have to go," Y/n began pushing the teens out of her room when her mother's voice sent a chill down her spine.

"They should stay for dinner. I'd like to get to know them better."

"..."

"Dinner? That sounds amazing!" Auira exclaimed.

Auira...READ THE ROOM! 

Saiki shook his head, "we should actually go. Right Auira?"

"Huh? Am I missing something?"

"Perfect!" Y/n's mother said clasping her hands together, "oh it'll be so wonderful! Y/n never lets me meet any of her friends."

Jeez, I wonder why I never let you meet them. 

~Slight Timeskip~

Saiki's POV:

The L/N household obviously has its issues. With the overbearing mother and the five-year-old menace, I'm surprised I got trapped in this nightmare. 

"So," Auira started, "Mrs.L/N, what do you do for work?"

That'll break the ice.

"Well, I'm a Software Engineer but I specialize in data entry."

"And you complained about moving when you could get a job literally anywhere," Y/n mumbled as she picked at her food. 

There was a swift motion under the table as Y/n pulled back her chair before her mother's foot could reach her kneecap. 

"Missed me," she mouthed. 

Saiki felt his mouth form a slight smile. The girl was brave, he'll give her that.  

"And Mr.L/N? Is he in the same field as you?"

Suddenly it went silent. The clattering of utensils being the only sound in the room. 

Kaito looked from his sister to his mother and then back onto his plate. He looked up to Auira and shook his head disapprovingly as if she had said the wrong answer in Family Feud. 

This time Y/n spoke up, "no he uh...he was a mechanic. He passed away two years ago."

Y/n pulled at her green hair as the silence continued. 

"One time I caught a butterfly in my backyard," Kaito said taking a sip of his drink. 

Y/n looked him confused, "w-what does that have to do with anything!?"

"Just trying to relieve the tension," he said innocently. He pointed at Auira, "you ask dumb questions."

"..."

He pointed at Saiki, "you...well you're bland."

That's...well thanks for the compliment kid. 

The boy looked at his mother, his voice serious, "there. You've met Y/n's friends. They're not obvious. So can I please watch my show now?!"

Y/n's mother narrowed her eyes at the boy. His straightforwardness being the end of this awful dinner. 

~Slight Timeskip~

After gathering the dishes, Y/n guided them back to the entrance of the house her face red with embarrassment, "I'm sorry you had to stay longer than you needed to."

"No worries Y/n. We understand," Auira replied. 

Saiki nodded. The three exited the large home and stood at the gate awkwardly before Y/n spoke again. 

"I guess we should meet tomorrow then to discuss the whole psychic powers thing."

Auira and Saiki looked at each other, "yes... We should. We'll bring the other PK psychic."

"There's another one?" 

"Unfortunately," Saiki mumbled. 

Y/n choked out a laugh, "unfortunately?" she pointed at Saiki, "you're secretly funny."

He blushed, completely bamboozled by her reaction. She bounced back so quickly from that dinner that it was giving him whiplash. 

Inside, Y/n's mother looked out through the window. She closed the blinds angrily as she muttered something Kaito couldn't quite hear. 

A/N:

hey guys! sorry for the late update. My internet went out on Friday and deleted all of the chapters I had saved. I was going to publish it on the weekend when I had planned on rewriting this chapter but was having trouble as my only notes for this chapter was "tense dinner"

Obviously, this didn't help much that's why this chapter was so short. You didn't miss much honestly. It was mostly just bickering between Y/n and her mom while Saiki and Auira are basically like "this family's crazy"

Anyways, again I apologize for the late update. Next chapter everything will be back to normal!