19

Saiki's POV:
There are too many characters present in this room. It's starting to feel like a special episode and not in a good way.

"Why does your brother have blond hair when your parents have black and brown hair," Kaito says breaking the silence.

"Because I'm a main character," Kusuke declared while ruffling Kaito's hair a little too aggressively.

You've only been here for three full chapters. You're a side character at best.

"Enough with the fourth wall breaks!" Y/n shouted. She turned to face Kusuke, "do you have the results?"

Saiki also looked over at his brother. Results? What results?

Kusuke cleared his throat, "most of my research was inconclusive based on your hypothesis. I'm sorry, but I have no idea why this could be happening again nor how to stop it."

Y/n let out a shudder as she stepped back in horror.

"Oh," she managed to say, "that's..." the lights began to flicker in the room as Y/n's head spun in confusion.

"Hmm," Kusuke said as he took note of the lights, "how fascinating," he whispered.

"Then I guess...plan A will proceed as planned," Y/n stated.

"Of course you would run away from the mess you made."

God damnit! Another character!

Y/n's mother strode into the room. Her arms crossed and her face full of disgust.

"You've always been selfish," she sneered.

The room was quiet before Y/n's mother spoke again, "go to your room Kaito."

He looked back at his sister before silently walking out.

"How could you say I'm selfish," Y/n fumed.

"You always have been," her mother replied coyly, "after all you were the one that murdered my husband."

Saiki and Kusuke's eyes shot up.

Murdered? Is Y/n really capable of doing such a thing.

"I've told you a million times that I didn't but I guess you wanted an audience to be the judge of that," Y/n spat as she motioned towards the two brothers, "but if you like we can tell that story again. That's what you want, isn't it?"

~Flashback~
Cancer was something rarely discussed in the L/n household. There was no reason to talk about it. I mean no one they knew had it and it's not like there was a history of it in either of their families.

Y/n's father was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer when she was thirteen. He had become really weak and fraile and yet refused to see a doctor until it was too late. "I'm afraid of hospitals," he would tell Y/n.

She spent weeks at the hospital with him. Chemo had become the only option by then. He sold his auto body shop to some guy who: "had a vision and a dream." The shop shut down a few months into its opening. Street racing required more subtly I guess.

While walking the cold halls of the hospital Y/n got an idea. She went into her dad's room after he received his treatment and walked over to his sleeping body. She hovered her hands over his body and sighed shakily.

"Please work," she whispered.

As soon as she began her father's voice startled her, "duckie...please don't."

Y/n paused and looked to her father who was now staring at her.

"I'm helping you," she replied.