07 | my turning page

Warning: mentions of rape/non-consensual drug use

-

"The moon looks brighter tonight, don't you think?"

Taehyung tries not to jump at the sound of his soft voice so close to him, eyes darting around the open space in front of them where the fire is still burning.

His eyes take in the high flames and hot air that makes it appear as though the fire is slightly moving.

He doesn't know what to say to Jeongguk, so he stays quiet until the alpha finally realizes he won't say a word and turns to him.

It makes the omega nervous when he realizes he cannot escape from having a conversation with the alpha.

Jeongguk's eyes are curious and shine abnormally bright beneath the moonlight. Taehyung resists the urge to look at him and instead focuses on the two pups who run around in circles by the fire.

He watches as their mother scolds them, gripping one of the pup's hands whose cheeks are blotchy from the cold wind and sweat.

Taehyung doesn't register the fact that Jeongguk is speaking to him until his ears stop blocking out the sound of his voice.

"Listen, I wanted to apologize about the way our first meeting went. It was never my intention to make you upset or uncomfortable."

Taehyung's face remains stoic as he looks straight ahead, resisting the urge to show his surprise at the apology. Jeongguk sounds sincere but he can never be too sure with alphas like him.

He hates the fact that a small part of him wants to believe it's true, desperately clinging to the hope that maybe he isn't like the others.

Jeongguk's voice is gentle, like the prettiest waves in the ocean and the softest hum of the winter winds.

The omega licks his lips quickly before his mouth parts and he's finally turning to look at Jeongguk in the face, long lashes fanning his cheeks as he narrows his eyes at him.

"Why does it matter so much to you?" He says, staring at the way Jeongguk's face is dumbfounded for a second before he appears confused.

Taehyung begins to feel like he is missing something when Jeongguk stares at him, blinking once, twice before he seems to register what is going on and his face momentarily falls.

The omega desperately wants to ask him why he is reacting this way, what is he missing?

Jeongguk's pitiful expression quickly morphs into a blank one, momentarily recollecting himself before he clears his throat weakly and opens his mouth to come up with a response that isn't too emotionally draining for Taehyung to hear.

"I don't want you to dismiss the possibility of staying in the pack because of me."

Taehyung isn't sure what he is supposed to respond to something like that.

He feels confused when his heart begins to work harder, teeth clenched tightly in embarrassment at the idea of Jeongguk possibility hearing it.

He supposes it's a good thing someone begins to play some instrument by pressing a few buttons and pulling the instrument apart due to the flexible middle before pushing them back together. Some of the wolves cheer in response as they get up to dance with their mates.

Culture shock strikes again and it's a good thing Jeongguk notices the way his eyes are focused on what is happening in front of them because it's the perfect opportunity to change the topic and he won't have to come up with a response to his words.