11 | let's take on the world

Taehyung has seen and heard many things in his life that have changed the logistics of his brain into a series of indifference but never in his life has he ever heard the word 'please' slip from the lips of an alpha.

This feels like learning a new vocabulary word, a new form of expressing emotions that he is unaccustomed to being directed at him.

Jeongguk looks hopeful, genuine in a sense that makes Taehyung swallow back a whimper that threatens to fall from his lips. He isn't a hundred percent sure whether he believes him for now but the nagging need to trust him is tempting.

The omega opens his mouth and closes it wordlessly, unable to formulate any words or thoughts.

Jeongguk's expression shifts, a sudden realization dawning to him before he corrects himself with an apology. "Right, I'm sorry. I can't ask that of you."

He looks slightly disappointed; Taehyung isn't sure whether it's towards him or at himself. He figures it's towards himself when Jeongguk looks straight ahead, clearly embarrassed at him own plea.

"I-I-... um, I don't know if I can do this again." Taehyung feels pathetic, closing his eyes tightly and feeling even more stupid when he feels the warm tear slide down his cheek.

Jeongguk looks to the side at him, eyes warm as he watches Taehyung look away quickly when he realizes the alpha is staring at him.

"Do what again?" Jeongguk murmurs, gaze heated as he waits for Taehyung to elaborate. His voice is soft, never demanding.

He is patient as he waits for Taehyung, eyes never once looking annoyed at his lack of communication skills.

"Trust," Taehyung licks over his cracked lips quickly, teary eyes causing his vision to blur. "I don't know if I can trust a pack ever again."

Jeongguk stays quiet for a long time, expression unrecognizable to Taehyung before he swallows audibly but doesn't say anything else.

His scent has shifted, Taehyung finds himself wanting to ask why it smells distressed. He wonders if the alpha can smell his own sour one but that must be a given.

"I want to earn your trust. I want you to trust me, Taehyung. Will you let me try?" He asks him slowly, slightly turning his body more towards the omega.

Maybe it's the chamomile scent, or those pretty doe eyes. Or maybe it's the fact that Taehyung is tired of being afraid, of looking over his shoulder and constantly being on guard. But he finds himself nodding quickly, feeling overwhelmed when Jeongguk's expression relaxes, showing relief.

It feels like the weight that had constantly sat on his shoulders has now disappeared and the low buzzing in his head has simmered down to a tolerable volume. Taehyung feels afraid, he isn't familiar with this feeling and thinks he might be going mad.

"Come on, let's get you back to your room. It's been a long day." Jeongguk tells him when he realizes how emotionally drained the omega must be. He's content with the progress they've made for the day.

Taehyung nods as he sniffles and gets up, trailing after Jeongguk who seems to be less tense around him. The silence isn't too awkward by the time they finally make it to the omega huts.

The sound of crickets follows them all the way back and Taehyung can't help but think how peaceful thing have gotten and how the constant ringing in his ears has dulled.

The alpha turns to him, eyes intense as he clears his throat lightly when Taehyung blinks back at him before looking away. "Thank you for walking me back."

Jeongguk looks surprised for a second before he collects himself and nods. Taehyung doesn't wait for him to say anything before making his way to the entrance, pausing right before going in and turning to the side slightly where he can feel Jeongguk's gaze burning into the side of his face.