9

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗
New faces
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

A gust of wind glided through the crisp afternoon air, translucent wisps bringing rejuvenation and alleviating coolness to compensate for the sweltering heat.

Two figures were present amidst the breeze, one was seated upright whereas the other laid down contiguous to the former. Their [h/c] and blond locks were tousled by the whispers of the wind. Looming over them was silence, a condition they retained as it granted them a peace of mind.

A melodic tune filled the air, flooding out of a recorder played by the girl with [h/c] hair. She played a song, a piece so well-known that nearly everyone recognized it. What is this song she's playing, you may ask?

My Heart Will Go On.

A classic masterpiece.

Several mistakes were discerned in your playing, but as Beethoven himself said: "To sing a wrong note is insignificant, but to sing without passion is unforgivable."

And your passion when playing the Titanic song was simply unparalleled.

Mikey knew this well. That's why he didn't try to stop you. Even when his eardrums felt like exploding, he endured it because of your passionate playing.

And because he knew you wouldn't stop even if he told you to.

"[y/n]-chinnn~" Mikey drawled. You didn't stop playing, so he continued, "can't you play another song? I've heard this a thousand times now."

You put down your recorder to give him a questioning look. "Then, what do you want me to play?"

He hummed thoughtfully. "I don't know. Just play something else."

With a nod, you started playing a different song.

One verse into the song, Mikey released a discontent groan. "Not this either. I've heard this song way too much."

A frown clung to your visage. "What's wrong with Never Gonna Give You Up?"

"I told you, [y/n]-chin! You play this song too often!"

Rolling your eyes, you breathed an irked sigh. "You're being awfully picky, Manjiro-kun. What do you want me to play then?"

"Anything! Anything but those two songs!" His body angled upwards as his hands latched onto your shoulders, giving it a frustrated shake.

"You're lucky you're my friend. I don't usually tolerate any form of slander towards those songs." You huffed indignantly. After racking your brain, you finally found a perfect song. It's another classic masterpiece – everyone loves this. "Got it!"

You started playing it according to memory. But since you had difficulty remembering things, you played some part intuitively. Which led to a few ear-piercing mistakes. I Want It That Way was you and your mom's favorite song, so it held a special place in your heart. If you were going to play it, you will play it with your entire soul and being.

Mikey was tactful enough to let you play until the end. He even shut his eyes, allowing the song to lull him into a blissful state despite there being some wrong notes. When you finished playing, Mikey sat up with his feet and arms crossed.

With a gentle smile painting his face, he said, "[y/n]-chin, that was a painful experience. I beg of you to never become a musician."

Imaginary question marks floated around your head. You failed to understand why he would say such a thing. "Was I too good?"