12

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗
Resolute
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

Sleep was very much desirable when your head was pounding excessively from the influx of unknown memories.

But sadly, you couldn't do even that.

That night, whenever you close your eyes, instead of being embraced by the placating sensation of having your mind put to rest, it would only be overdriven with even more memories.

You only had a minute of peace, before the flashing sceneries materialized in your head and left you sleep-deprived.

You momentarily thought of going to your mom's room to sleep with her, but then you remembered she was away for work.

Prior to leaving, she asked you if you wanted her to take the day off so she could take care of you. Your mom doesn't know what caused your intense headache and frequent panic attacks, but she's aware of the severity of it; therefore, she made it her priority to nurse you until your ailment goes away.

But you insisted that she goes to work. Not that you were being ungrateful, but this was a complicated issue. You didn't know anything about your current condition or what the memories entailed, but you were determined to figure it out yourself before you could properly relay it to your mom. This means you need to be out of her supervision, as disheartening as it is.

You didn't want to risk her growing even more concerned and drag you to the hospital because she can and she will. Having the doctor involved will just worsen the situation, and in worst case scenario, they might even recommend you a psychiatrist.

Overall, you didn't want to make a huge fuss about this until you knew what it was.

Your thought wandered to several hours ago, when you were lounging in the living room, playing with Jackie, where your mom could see you. Back then, she was about to call her colleagues to inform them of her absence, but then you spoke up.

"Mom, don't worry. This whole thing might just be exhaustion from school. It'll go away sooner or later." You assured the fretting woman, shedding a carefree smile. "You should focus on your work. I'm sure the patients need you more."

That last comment made her narrow her eyes. "This isn't about who needs me more, [y/n]. You're my daughter! I'm not gonna leave you alone when you're sick."

"I know, mom. But y'know, I don't feel that bad now! I can take care of myself." You made an okay sign with your thumb and index finger. The unimpressed look she shot you made you chuckle. "Honest! Besides, I have Jackie to take care of me." Saying this, you squished your dog's cheeks affectionately. "Isn't that right, Jackie? Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy? You ar-"

Jackie slipped from your grasp and walked away just like that. You give him love, and this is what you get?

Trying not to look betrayed, you turned to your mom with your lips pursed. "Yeah... I'll be fine."

"Jackie sure does care a lot about you." She smugly remarked. You mirrored her previous unimpressed look.

"Hilarious, mom. Don't you have work, by the way?"

Your mom snickered. "Well, someone wants me to leave."

"I can't stand the disrespect in this house." You crossed your arms, harrumphing.

"Then, sit down."

You blinked in astonishment. "Mom, I'm supposed to be the one with the sense of humor around here. Not you."