Unbelievable Tragedy

"You should really go to school." My dad says to me the third day at the hospital.

"Why?" I say. I don't look up, keeping my eyes on the book I'm reading. There's no way I'm going to school. It's not like it matters anyway.

"Because this is the third day you aren't there. How much are you missing?" Oh you know, just the ACT's.

"Nothing. Don't worry about it dad. I'm not going back until Jamie is better." I shrug my shoulders at him, hoping he'll drop it.

"Fine. But don't whine to me when your failing all of your classes."

"Too late for that." I mumble to myself.

"What was that?" My dad raises his eyebrows at me.

"Oh, nothing." I wave him off. Now I really hope he drops it. I put in my earplugs, signaling that I'm done talking, and turn up the volume as loud as it goes.

I hum along to the music and draw swirls on my hand with a sharpie, bored with reading. One of the swirls looks like an elephant and it makes me smile a little.

Someone taps my shoulder but I swat them off. They poke my face but I continue to ignore them. When I think they're done annoying me, they pull my earlobe. I yank off my earplugs, prepared to yell at the person and am met by the face of Casper.

"Hey Tummy." He smiles at me, sympathy in his eyes.

"Hi Cas." I say. When I don't do anything else, no smiling or anything, he sits on me.

"What are you doing?" I gasp under his weight. "You're squishing me." His back is against my face making my words sound funny and slurred.

"Be a happy camper. No one likes upset stomachs." His body shakes with laughter as I try to push him off of me.

"Get off!" I say loudly.

"Fine, but only 'cause your cute." Casper boops my nose as he gets off of me. He sits on the floor, face smug.

"Uh, Autumn, who is this?" My dad gestures towards Casper, looking confused.

"This is my friend Casper." I say. Casper smirks and waves at him.

"Ah, nice to meet you." He says to Casper.

"Are you guys dating?" My dad spits out after a few minutes of silence.

"No." Casper and I say at the same time.

"Good, you're too young to date." My dad says, smiling.

"I'm almost 17." I roll my eyes. Protective dad's for the win.

"Wait when's your birthday?" Casper asks, a mischievous grin playing on his face.

"2 weeks from tomorrow." I say, not thinking. When I look at his face I realize what I just unleashed."No, we're not doing anything. Don't you dare." I glare at him, hoping to get my point across.

"You look like a kitten when you're mad." He laughs, making me glare more. "I wasn't going to celebrate for you. I was going to celebrate for Jamie." He pats the bed and smirks.

I shake my head at him and sink down in my chair. My dad and Casper chat like "men" while I stare at the clock, counting the seconds.

1,443 seconds later, my dad speaks to me. "Autumn, you should go get food for the 3 of us." I look at him with my biggest puppy eyes.

"Please don't make me." I whisper, pleading with him.

"You haven't left this room once since we got here. I know you haven't eaten either. Go with Casper and get the greasiest food you can find." He smiles at me but it doesn't reach his eyes. I'm worrying him. I can't have him worry about both his children.