My Undoing

Autumn POV

I cry out in pain. Everything hurts. They won't stop hurting me. Why won't they stop?

"The pain can all go away if you just tell me who you are." Jacklyn says. Mary still holds the knife, poised for another blow to my already broken body.

"I don't know." I practically sob out. I put my head down, praying she'll believe me. I've tried to be strong through this, but it's impossible. I can't do it anymore.

"Oh, but you will." Jacklyn says with a malevolent smile on her face. Even though she appears patient, I can feel the annoyance that she feels because of how long it's taking to draw this out of me. I can sense the fear that she isn't going to get what she wants.

"What if we take it to an emotional level? Like hurting a certain mother that you've always wanted to love you." Her smile disappears, getting serious. "Mary, stab yourself." Mary follows orders right away, raising the knife above her head.

"NO!" I yell, but it's too late. She's already plunged the knife into her stomach. I stare as she falls to the ground. By the look on her face, I can tell she's finally released from Jacklyn's compulsion. She's not possessed anymore.

I glare at Jacklyn, rage burning through my tired veins. She quickly removes the knife from Mary's stomach and walks until she's right in front of me. Her face is so close to mine that I can feel her breath.

She places the knife on my wrist. I stiffen. "No, please." I whimper. She rolls her eyes and cuts the rope holding me to my chair.

"I'm nice enough to let you say goodbye. One wrong move, and I'll kill you." She points the knife at me, trying to make her point stick. She moves out of the way so I can go to Mary. I fall to my knees next to her. Mary's eyes are scared, but she's not looking at me. Her eyes are glued to Jacklyn. I hold her hand to let her know that I'm there. When she looks at me, she relaxes.

"I'm-I'm sorry." She whispers.

"Shhh, it's okay." I say quietly. I look at Jacklyn, who's talking angrily in the phone to someone. "I have to tell you, there was never a moment that I hated you." I say to Mary. She smiles. That's when I notice the blood on her lips. I choose to ignore it, not wanting to scare her.

"I'm proud of you." She says. She looks at Jacklyn again, who's still on the phone. Her hand moves up and motions for me to get closer. "There's an unlocked door in the back of this room. It leads to a flight of stairs. That's your escape." She whispers to me. I nod, telling her silently that I understand. She smiles at me, tears glistening in her eyes. I squeeze her hand.

"Goodbye Mom." I whisper to her as her eyes fall closed. Strangely, my heart burns with grief from her death. I look at Jacklyn, who still pays no attention. It's now or never. I take off running to the exit.

"Autumn!" Jacklyn's voice booms from behind me. I keep running, my leg burning from the stab wound.

It doesn't hurt. It doesn't hurt. Run faster! I run as fast as I can manage with my wounds. I manage to make it down the stairs and out into the cool air of the night.

I see a familiar car in the distance. I wave my hands, trying to get their attention. When they stop, a smile breaks out on my face.

"Watch out!" Riley screams. I turn to see what he's screaming about.

And right into Jacklyn's knife.

__________________________________________________________

My stomach feels like there's a burning hot poker through it.

"No, no, no,no,no. Autumn, stay with me." I hear a voice pierce through my pain. Riley's.

"I'm sor-" I try to get out. It doesn't happen.

This time when I fade, there is no darkness. Only light.