Chapter Twenty-Three

Warning: Mature scenes ahead

"Is this really the time to do schooling, Basilius?" Meleni whimpered as her mate set a stack of books in front of her.

"Yes, Meleni. I should have had you start it sooner. It definitely would have prevented some of our current problems. Besides, you're a Luna now. Knowing politics and how to run a pack is important things to know. And it's clear that your lack of pack life has stunted your education on such information." He explained calmly.

After what had happened to Vasso, it had come to his attention that his pack would have to prepare for political action and that his mate knew little about such a thing. If anything were to happen to him, he would need her to be prepared to take care of the pack on her own. So he had brought her to the study of the packhouse where she would be tutored by one of the pack elders, Damaris. She was quite strict, though she had been friends with his mother so she knew about the responsibilities of being a Luna.

"Okay..." Meleni's shoulders dropped at the thought. She had promised Vasso to be strong and try her best to help lead the pack, but school wasn't ever her strong suit.

An older woman stepped into the room, her head held high. Though she had wrinkles and white hair from age, she still held a certain elegant air to herself. She dipped her head to the as she spoke with a dignified voice. "Alpha Basilius. Luna Meleni." She greeted.

"Damaris, I appreciate that you are willing to assist my mate in her education," Basilius said as he tucked his hands behind his back.

"Of course, Alpha. It is important for someone of her status to know how to do what she needs to be done." Her dark eyes slide to Meleni.

"I do appreciate the help... having grown up without such information has made it harder to do what I can for the pack."

"Well, I am happy to be of assistance." She said, though kept her proud look about her.

It made Meleni nervous. She wasn't going to go easy on her was she. She would still try her best to do what she could. Basilius excused himself from the room, the two women sitting down at the table. Meleni pushed the stack of books aside to see her tutor better.

"How much do you know about the basics of pack ranks. And what about the neighboring packs?" She asked, a raise of her eyebrows.

"Ahh. I know about the officers... and I know of our pack and the red fang pack." Meleni spoke softly.

"Speak up, Luna. You should talk with pride and authority. Someone the pack members know they can follow and look up to. Now, try again." Damaris frowned as she looked at Meleni with dagger eyes.

Meleni cleared her throat and nodded. "I know a little, but I would be grateful if you would teach me more."

"Better... I guess we shall start with a quick lesson about the hierarchy of the packs." She nodded and grabbed a book from the stack, searching through the pages before setting it down in front of Meleni and pointing. "General laws come from the capital city. They made by the king or queen, the ultimate alpha being."

The page she pointed to showed a map, labeled with several territories, the one she pointed at was Itonia, the capital, which had a territory marked bigger than most.

"The capitol is very urban compared to most packlands, which are rural areas typically. And it is also where most of our products are manufactured. Cars, medicine, things of that sort. It is also where or pack doctors and nurses go to get their education. The capital is its own world compared to ours."