Chapter Four

She must have not realized it when they first came into contact. The exhaustion and fright must have overwhelmed her to the point where she barely noticed the feeling. A feeling of dread washed over her and she tried to push him away. She couldn't be his mate, she couldn't be stuck in a pack. She began yelping suddenly as he wrapped his arms around her, holding her firmly as she squirmed.

"Meleni! Calm down. You'll be safe here, you won't be starving and alone." He growled deeply, trying to calm the thrashing wolf.

"I'd rather be dead in the dry desert than your mate!" She cried as she began to try and claw herself free.

His wolf hurt seeing her reaction, he wanted her. He wanted her to accept his dominance, to see him as he alpha. He began to force his way forward. Meleni recognized it, fearing his wolf's instincts, she began to calm down. She'd have to be docile until she had the opportunity to escape.

"Good girl, Meleni..." He gently caressed her head and softly began cooing to her. "You will be cared for."

His wolf began to calm down, loving the thought of caring for his newfound mate. She felt comforted by his word's instinctively, her wolf longing to please her mate. But she knew she couldn't stay. She'd have to escape before he claimed her.

Meleni remained silent.

She didn't want to be cared for by this stranger, this pack wolf, this alpha. Breathing in a deep breath, she felt relief as he let her go. She stepped back a little, needing space from him.

Just as he did, two women entered. The same ones from the night before. Elyse and Selene.

"Good morning," The woman with black hair greeted. She looked older, having a bit of a curvaceous figure. The other looked much younger, possibly still younger than me.

"You met them last night, But this is Elyse," Basilius gestured to the younger one, who had curly blonde hair. "And Selene." He gestured to the older woman.

"These women will help you get ready... Be polite to them, Meleni..." His last words were a clear command that made her frown, but he didn't address it before slipping out of the room

"Your name is Meleni? How lovely." Elyse smiled at her. She didn't respond to it except with a small nod as a thank you.

"We brought you breakfast. I can tell you need to put more meat on your bones. We need our future Luna strong and healthy." Selene said, setting down a tray of bacon and eggs. with a glass of milk.

"Luna?..." Meleni tilted her head as she was guided to sit at the table. She wasn't super familiar with the term, though she bad swore she heard it when she was younger.

"The Alphas Mate?... You'll be responsible to stand by his side and help nurture his pack." Elyse explained.

She looked at Elyse, clearly a bit alarmed. She knew packs didn't like outsiders, let alone outsiders at the top of their hierarchy. It would be dangerous for her. It was not the sort of life she was looking to live.

"Don't look so worried, Meleni. Our Alpha will take care of you. He is strong and trustworthy. Now, I suggest you eat now. I can hear your stomach growling." Selene teased as she sat in the other chair at the table.

Meanwhile, Elyse had gone to the wardrobe, pulling out clothes to lay down on the bed for Meleni to wear. Then she sat down on the bed, watching as Meleni began to hesitantly nibble the food provided.

"How old are you anyway?" Elyse curiously asked.

Meleni hadn't kept up with her birthdays. Not for many years. But if it was near the beginning of autumn, she must have been eighteen.

"I am eighteen... Or around that..." She mumbled.

"So you've had your first heat before?" Selene cut in.

"Yes... I've had a few."

"Has anyone ever ended your head early?" Selene pressed on, making Meleni slightly uncomfortable.

"No... There were no other wolves in the desert. At least not until your alpha came." Meleni whined a bit.

"I see... Well... Your body may push it's self into heat now that you've found a mate. As strong as Basilius is, I don't think he will resist your scent... Or any other wolves. Do not leave your room if you're in heat, Meleni. Many male wolves live her..." Selene warned her.

This only made the small wolf grow more fearful. Yet, her wolf seemed excited by the thought of going into heat with her Alpha nearby. Meleni disliked the thought. She wouldn't be able to leave if he claimed her. And if she was in heat, she'd be begging him to make her his.

"Selene. It's not a good time to ruin her appetite. She needs to eat." Elyse cut in with a sigh.

That's when Meleni realized she stopped eating, just staring at the food with a frantic look. Elyse was right about her appetite loss, but she knew her body needed some energy if she would want to escape. So she bit back her fear and began to chew on the food again.

"I apologize, Meleni." Selene got up from her seat and pushed in the chair, giving her some needed space.

It wasn't long until she felt full, pushing the plate away from her. Selene picked it up and walked it to the door, handing it to someone else on the other side of the door as Elyse guided Meleni to the outfit she had set out. First of all, it was undergarments. A simple white set with little small lace details, suited for everyday life. And over that would go a what and blue floral dress that would reach past her knee. It was flowing, sure to hide her unhealthy figure. Of course, Basilius was still and alpha that needed to keep up his appearances. What would wolves think if they saw his mate looking malnourished?

Selene returned and pulled the dress off Meleni despite her letting out a whine, quick to cover herself. Selene rolled her eyes and began to help her into the clothing. Before Elyse grabbed a pale blue pair of flat shoes, helping the still flustered she-wolf slip them on.

"Brush your hair daily, Meleni. It looks so beautiful when it shines. It's just like the moon." Selene smiled a bit as she began to easily pull the brush through her hair.

"Look how pretty you are when you're all cleaned up," Elyse chirped and pulled Meleni to a mirror.

She hasn't seen her reflection in a very long time. She was a child when she last saw it. Her face and body had changed very much since. Her face looked more mature, more like a woman, though, she held the youth in her face still. However, It looked off, her red eyes and white eyelashes and brows. She looked different from others.

"Come now, we must go see the Alpha. He wanted to speak with you again." Selene led her out the door, dragging her back to the last person she wanted to see.