Chapter Twenty-One

Nearly the whole day had passed since Vasso had left the pack's land to inform the Red fang pack's alpha of his son's misfortune. Worry weighed on his mind, though he tried to wait as long as he could. It was a touchy situation and he knew his wolve could handle themselves. Yet the alpha had grown more distressed with the amount of time that had passed.

His mate need not hear of this yet until he figured out what was going on. Why worry her if there was nothing wrong, though he doubted that was the case. He would still try and deal with it quietly.

He spent the day with his mate, as she was in a rather fragile state. Together, they walked the grounds of their home, discussed a few things about what they could do with the garden. Melani ended up chasing a moth around for a bit, trying to catch it in order to get a better look, she failed of course, but she didn't let it get her down. Instead, they headed inside for some indoor activities, like some light reading.

By the time the sun had set, Melani was tired. She had fallen asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. Basilius pulled the blankets over his mate, pressing a kiss onto her temple and running his fingers through her milky hair adoringly. He had to pull himself from his perfect sleeping mate and exit the room. He placed a trusted guard in front of the door. He did want to take any chances with his mate getting into any more trouble. It was safer this way.

Accompanied by just one of his warriors, he left in order to find his beta and pack members. They snuck into the dark forest, which was darker than usual, the moon having disappeared behind dark clouds. It was a bad omen. But as his mate had made clear to him, he had a responsibility to protect his pack. He wouldn't seek out trouble, only defend his own. It's what he had to do.

Meleni blinked, her eyes drinking in nothing, but the dark shadows of the room. The smell of her mate was strong, but she could tell he was no longer in the room. Slowly, pushing herself up, she squinted at the clock. It was the middle of the night. An eerie feeling washed over her, pitted in her stomach. It was what her mate was feeling.

A pitiful whine left her, throwing off the blankets as she crawled off the bed. Opening the door, she saw one of the pack's warriors. She'd met him a few times before learning at one point that his name was Claus and that he was a little over a year older than her. He turned his head, tilting it slightly. He was incredibly powerful, often sparing with Basilius and Vasso. However, she had noticed he wasn't the brightest.

"Good evening, Luna. What are you doing up so late?" He greeted her politely as he crossed his massive arms across his chest.

"Where is my mate, Claus?" Meleni was quick to the point. She didn't mean to sound coarse, but he was tired and worried about Basilius.

His eyes darted around the hall for a second until he shifted in place, now moving his hands to his hips. "Alpha had said he had to take care of business."

Meleni wasn't happy with the vague answer that he'd given her. Who was he to deny her the information on where her mate was. Straightening her back, she tilted her head up to face the tall young man. Her white brows furrowed as she let out a growl. She watched as he tensed, trying to keep a cool front, even though it seemed she was intimidating him.

"Take me to my mate."

"I... cannot do that, Luna..." He cleared his throat and shook his head.

"Why?" Another growl rumbled through her, though it wasn't anything like her mates. However, it almost had the same effect.

"I am sorry, Luna. The alpha left earlier this night. That's all I know." His eyebrows raised up, making him almost look like a puppy.

Meleni sighed and shook her head a bit. She sidestepped the large man before her, marching down the hall. She heard the sound of heavy steps behind her. He was following her. She tilted her head to the side to take a peek. He looked like a child that had just been scolded.