Chapter Eight

"Is my punishment over yet now, Alpha?" Meleni asks quietly as she blinked, turning to Basilius, still in his lap. After being spanked, she didn't feel like irritating him by being defiant.

He gently stroked her cheek and sighed. As much as he valued the fact that she recognized him as her alpha, he would prefer if his mate wasn't so formal with him.

"First of all, you may call me Basilius..." He kisses the top of her head, leaving a tingle on it before he shook his head. "This isn't a punishment right now. This is to comfort you. You're sensitive... And I know being close to a mate helps with anxiety. However, it's also an interlude. You still have more to do to finish up."

"Is it more spanking?..." She whimpered, her butt still sore.

He chuckled and shook his head again. "No, not unless you want more."

"Wh-why would I want that?! It hurts!" She barked.

"Oh, my naive little mate." He softly purred to her before slipping her off his lap and helping her off the bed. "You're going to apologize to my beta. What you did was very disrespectful. He is here for your protection, and yet, you shoved his face into the dirt."

Meleni began to grow nervous. She had done that, hadn't she? She must not have remembered it until he mentioned it.

"Don't be worried. He is a reasonable man." He gently took her hand. "And I will be there to comfort you when you're done. You deserve that much when you've been so... obedient."

"Don't patronize me, Alpha." She sent him a quick scowl, pulling her hand from his.

"Meleni, my mate. One more thing." He said, walking to the door. "I have arranged a meeting with the Alpha of another pack. On your little trip, you crossed their border. And so we will go, and you will formally apologize to them for your mistake and hope that it doesn't start a war. That's the last part of your punishment."

"W-War?" She whispered, her eyebrows knitting together.

Meleni didn't want to start a war. She'd get caught up in the middle of it.

"Yes. War, Meleni." He sighed and continued, opening the door and beckoning for her to follow before continuing. "Once you have my mark, you'll officially be a Luna. You have to think before you act or your actions could cause a war."

She didn't respond. She didn't know how to respond besides with a slight nod. It was a lot of weight. But she could feel the sense of sincerity to his voice.

Taking in a deep breath, she let out a soft, drawn-out whine as he leads her to the same sitting room she drank tea with Annita in. Already waiting there, looking out the window was Beta Vasso. His grey eyes landed on the Alpha, then lowered to Meleni. She felt herself growing tense as she slowly lowered her head.

Feeling her shame and discomfort in the air, Basilius gently wrapped his hand around her waist, just holding her, giving her comfort.

"Vasso. I believe my mate has something she wants to say to you. Would you care to listen?" Basilius said, gently pushing her forward.

"If she doesn't mind..." He replied calmly, his eyes softening on the small woman.

"I am sorry," Meleni said with a barely audible voice.

"I don't think he can hear you, dear." Basilius quickly said.

"I am sorry." She repeated, a bit louder, lifting her eyes to give her mate a hostile look.

"For?" He tilted his head as if he was challenging her to lash out at him.

All the while, Beta Vasso could clearly pick up on the tension between to two, realizing he'd suddenly been caught up in their war of dominance and defiance.

"For pushing your face into the ground and for making you chase after me." She moved her eyes to Vasso.

"It's alright, Luna. I ask you just don't do it again. We all worry for your safety..." He said with a small sip of his head.

It took Meleni by surprise how simple his response was.

"And I must apologize for causing you to fall from the wall. I heard your ribs broke? How are you doing now?" He said, genuinely.

Meleni no longer focused on her mate, stepping away from his hot touch on her face, even though her wolf whined in disappointment. She nodded and slowly rubbed her ribs.

"They're healing quite nicely... My sprained ankle is gone... And the cuts from the glass are... well." She held up her bandaged hands. "Taking a little while."

"External wounds are always slower to heal, even the small cuts." He said with a small nod. "But, you will heal faster with Basilius around..."

She looked to her mate again, tilting her head.

"That's why you'll be staying close to me for the next few days." As Basilius spoke, he began to push her white hair from her face, making room for him to cup her face. "And you will not be leaving our room for a while... I need to keep you close, make sure you're not going to try anything."

"Our room? I won't be sleeping there. Not in that bed, not with you." The girl shook her head.

"Oh my, dear mate. I didn't know you were so excited to be sharing a bed with me. I didn't think you would be the kind to rush things." He teased, causing her cheeks to light up a soft red as she frowned.

Vasso was not ready to be caught up in their quarrels again, he quickly slipped out of the room and down that hall before they realized. They didn't even notice though, the just continued.

"You-.. dirty... Pig!" She slapped his chest, pushing him away from her.

This, he found unacceptable. Yet amusing. He let out a low growl, a warning that caused his mate's face to grow panicked. She tried to run, but it was in vain, he chased her down the hall, only to easily scoop her up over this shoulder. She whined as he carried her back to his room, shutting the door and locking it.

Anyone passing by would hear crashing and angry barks from the Alpha's mate, followed by his mocking laughter. Only to leave the listener to wonder what the hell was going on.