Chapter Six

Years ago, Master Digby had had a brawl with another boy, because the other wanted Amabelle to play with him. By the end of the encounter, Master Digby had defeated the other boy, and declared that he wanted to marry Amabelle. He said, “When we are older, will you marry me?” She said, of course! He said, “Good”, and then they continued their game. It was after that the demons began visiting her, when he had to go away for schooling.

This was why they were having the party – they all assumed she’d say yes. She couldn’t say no... She would not answer. She bolted for the trees. Her audience made a sudden intake of breath. A woman fainted. And he stood, lonely and forgotten, rejected by his life-long love. He was frozen to the spot, so desperately devastated, unable to move a muscle. He was betrayed.

She tore through the woods uttering disgusting curses. She should have known this would happen. She should never have allowed herself onto the bandstand. She had almost accepted his offer. Then something overcame her; she just couldn’t face tying herself down without having a chance to experience life.

“Can you make sure none of them leave the forest until I send a beacon in the sky?” She requested, looking the demon in the eye.

“Of course!” It smiled slyly.

“And do not harm any of them!” She laughed, understanding the glint in its eye.

The house was empty – all the servants and guests were still at the party, and her demons were making sure they could not escape. She packed all her belongings into several bags, and in surprisingly little time. The bags were too heavy for her, so she just used a little incantation to make them float, following her. She then went to the stables and released her favourite horse. She considered just riding it bareback, but dismissed the idea, knowing it would be too risky to make her belongings fly the whole way. She got in her carriage; the horse strapped up, and spoke to it. It knew where to go. The horse was of course enchanted; she had found it in the forest when it was a foal. Its mother had been a unicorn, and father a Pegasus, but it had gained neither wings nor horn. Its parents were taken by the demons, and they corrupted the foal. That was why it was no longer crystal white like its parents; now it was a dark ebony. She sent a bolt of red light – the signal for the demons – into the sky with but a few words, and departed.

AN

Hi again! Got to 50 reads! (That makes me very happy :D) Next target: 60 (because it's the weekend and this chapter isn't very long).

- Mirabel