Chapter Two

“You’re really late!” She scolded, pulling Amabelle toward the path, and out of the woods. “He’s been here half an hour already!”

“Who?” Confused, she let her lead her back to the house.

“The young man, Master Digby Goodfellow, the man I was speaking of earlier! He has made a long journey to meet with you, the very least you could do is clean yourself up and grace him with your presence! Look at the state of you!” Mother tutted, examining Amabelle and calculating how long she would take to fix.

When they got to the door, Mother instructed the butler to say to Master Digby, that “Amabelle would be back from her riding in an hour”. She smuggled Amabelle past the library, where  Master Digby had been waiting, to her room upstairs. She made her bathe and dress in a new set of clothes. After drying and tying back her hair with ribbons, Mother deemed her presentable. Just as well – the hour was up.

Amabelle greeted the man, acted as cordially as she could, but was just not interested in him. She wanted to get back to her demons, her friends. She thought about using an incantation she had been taught on him, but thought it better not use dark arts on a guest. They sat there for what seemed like an age. She was saved by Grubert declaring dinner time.

She picked at her food, not wanting the green things she saw upon her plate. She longed for meat, but ate some of the salad starter to be polite in front of the guests. Mother dominated the conversation at dinner. All of the family was there; they’d arranged a family get-together, and so all her sisters were home once more.

On Amabelle’s left sat Nora’s husband, guzzling down his meal, laughing heartily at his companions’ jokes. On her right sat the Irish gent that Eva had married, keeping quiet, save the few endearing replies to his wife. Everyone could see Amabelle was not in the best of form, and let her be. Finally they brought out the juicy steak, and she wolfed it down. The pudding was just as horrible as puddings always were – sickly sweet, with no real nutritional content. At last it was over, and she could sleep.

Well, they thought she was sleeping, but she never slept, she didn’t really have the capacity. She could not recall a time she had slept. After most of her sisters had left, she had been able to choose a bedroom, and had selected a room with a balcony, looking towards the forest. It was part of the oldest section of the house, and had thick vines that had so long been there, that they had become part of the house. She had often wondered if the house would fall if the vines were cut. Every night, she would redress herself in some old clothes, and go for a walk. Unfortunately, she was not the only one who had that idea that night.

“Miss Amabelle! What are you doing out and about so late?” Master Digby questioned as she blindly walked straight into him.

AN

Hello again, now looking for 15 reads before I put up the next chapter! Thank yous alls! :)

Dedicated to @EpicFantasy700 because she commented on the last one, providing a brilliant cast suggestion! :D

- Mirabel