Chapter Four

“Amabelle, tomorrow, we want to have a bit of a party in the woods. More guests are coming up for it, but I wanted to know where the best spot for a party in the woods might be. Do you know of a suitable place?” Amabelle looked up at her mother, suspicious; her mother would never normally be so laid back about going into the woods.

“Yes, I think I know a good place. Do you want me to show it to you?” Amabelle co-operated. Mother nodded, and so they exited for the woods. They followed a path until they came to a magnificent clearing.

“Wonderful! I’m sure this is large enough to fit everyone!” She smiled, and made her way, without looking at Amabelle, back up the path. Amabelle was astounded. What had come over her mother? She spent the rest of the day sitting in the clearing, just thinking. The day and night went quickly. She was still sitting there when Mother arrived with some others to start setting up.

“I’d wondered where you’d got to! We’re setting up here, so you might want to go somewhere else. However, I need you to come home by four, as I need to get you ready!” Mother called as Amabelle walked away. Tables and chairs were being erected all over the clearing. A bandstand, buffet, and drinks table were assembled.

Her toes were resting in the water, her hair blowing in the breeze. She remembered where she recognised Master Digby’s name – she had been good friends with him when she was much younger, but much had happened since then. She had a bad feeling about tonight though, and she was certain that he was linked in some way.

“Hush, hush! Stop your complaining! It’s your fault your hair is in such a state!” Mother dismissed, forcing a brush through Amabelle’s matted hair. By the end of their toiling Amabelle looked exquisite. Now she needed some clothes. Mother tore apart the wardrobe, unable to find anything suitable for Amabelle to wear. “You wretched thing! I’d quite forgotten you’d destroyed all your good gowns playing in the woods! You’ll have to wear something of mine!” Mother stormed out of the room, and returned with a hideous garment.

“I’m not wearing that, Mother – it’s ghastly.” Amabelle simply crossed her arms. She didn’t seem to care she was standing stark naked with the door open, the servants able to see in. Just then there were hurried footsteps bounding up the stairs.

Mother rushed to see who it was, and it was a delivery boy. “I have a parcel and telegram, from an unknown sender, addressed to Miss Amabelle.” The boy explained, handing over a box and telegram. Mother thanked him, and returned to the room. Amabelle excitedly ripped open the box.

“Read the telegram first!” Her mother cried, outraged. She did as Mother said.

It read: A gift my love, I may be a stranger, but I won’t be much longer. Please wear it.

AN

Bonjour! 20 came around quickly! Any way of getting 30 reads? Thank you once again! :)

- Mirabel