Episode One / Part 3

Just as Cameron theorized, Brick soared up to the totem with ease. The cadet grabbed the hatchet that was stuck in the bottom and immediately began to panic when he realized how high up he was. The other Maggots were unimpressed with his girlish screams.

“Good grief.”

“Sheesh, what a baby?”

“Aw man, this isn't working!”

Asia glanced at Mike as he gasped deeply, instinctively reaching for her pocket. But he wasn't having an asthma attack... or was he?

“𝘊𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘯𝘨 𝘳𝘰𝘱𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺!”

“That's what we're trying to do, Mike.”

“𝘏𝘦𝘺! 𝘕𝘢𝘮𝘦'𝘴 𝘊𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳, 𝘺'𝘴𝘦𝘦?”

Asia tuned out the conversation and looked at the Toxic Rats. Her eyes widened as she realized B was making some kind of human ladder. She made a panicked noise and quickly adjusted the position of the trampoline before walking over to the rock and pulling Jo onto the surface beside her.

“Okay, change of plans. Jo, jump right after me. Your weight- no offense- should be able to launch me directly to where the rope is.”

“First of all, don't tell me what to do. Second of all, I'll do it.”

Asia nodded and took a deep breath before jumping onto the trampoline. Just as her feet hit the fabric Jo landed next to her, launching her towards the rope. For a few seconds the world moved in slow motion for Asia. She looked at Brick as she flew past him, then removed her pick from her pocket and pointed it at the ropes.

{CONFESSIONAL START}

“Yeah, I decided to use my pick to cut the rope. Anything strong enough to handle my hair is just as useful as a hatchet.”

{CONFESSIONAL END}

Asia's teammates stared at her with wide eyes as she got closer to the rope... and cut it! Asia hit the tree trunk hard, barely managing to grasp the trunk with her arms and legs as the totem pole crashed through the ground. She looked down, head spinning from the impact. Her team was cheering. Good sign. And, the Toxic Rats were behind due to Dakota being too distracted to contribute. Another good sign.

“Get it to the water!”

Asia stuck the pick in her hair and carefully climbed down the tree. Once she was halfway down she jumped, bending her knees as she hit the ground. Cameron asked if she was okay as came over to help push the totem.

“I'll be better when we win. Come on, push!”

Determined to win, the Mutant Maggots pushed the totem harder and jumped on top of it as it entered the water. It quickly began to move downstream and they all cheered. The noise made Asia's head throb a little but she tried her best to ignore the pain. Jo looked behind everyone and gasped.

“The Rats are gaining on us!”

“It is my duty to inform you, ma'am, that we have bigger problems.”

Opening her eyes, Asia saw that the river was leading to a waterfall. She instinctively tightened her arms around Anne Maria's waist but couldn't deny how good the adrenaline rush felt. Cameron was probably the only other Maggot who was excited.