Chapter 3: Heart to Heart

Phoenix's POV:

He didn't come.

I called him this morning, and left him a voicemail telling him if he wanted to meet us, to come to the place we ate before. Pearls and I waited there for him, but he never showed up. Really, I kind of saw it coming. 

Then why am I so disappointed?

Maybe the break was good for me. I've been feeling really weird around Edgeworth for a while now, and I don't know why. Not going to lie, it scared me. Actually, I lied. I know why I'm feeling this way. So long ago, I thought I let go of that fantasy... the fantasy of a 9 year old kid. I thought I let go of it when he suddenly just dropped out of my life for so many long years.

Finally, I make it to the office door. Shoving my hand into my jean pocket, I dig around for my office key. It's awfully quiet right now, I sent Pearls home to rest.  Walking all the time really tires her out, I can tell. Not saying that walking her home and walking all the way to the office doesn't tire me out. My legs are literally screaming right now. 

When I eventually get the door open, I slowly shut the door behind me and I flop down onto my desk chair. 

*CRUNCH*

"Holy Crap!"

What the hell was that?! Did I just sit on one of Maya's Steel Samurai posters? She always leaves them pretty much anywhere but the actual walls. The next time she comes by, I hope she enjoys having a butt-print added to one of them. Groaning, I stand up and glare at the crumpled paper on the seat of my chair. Nope, it's not a poster, maybe a case file?

Picking it up, I flop back down onto my chair and I read the contents. 

Wright, 

          I'm sorry I couldn't meet up with you this afternoon. Tensions are high in the Prosecutor's office, and I needed to be present. I can't disclose the particular reasons why, and it's really none of your business anyway. If you needed to discuss anything in particular, my phone number is listed below. Don't come to the prosecutors office.

-Edgeworth

A phone number was scrawled under the words in neat slanted numbers. My stomach is  jumping backflips right now, and I can't wrap my head around this. It's like he wants to be my friend, but at the same time, he's trying to be distant. This note though, it just sounds so Edgeworth. He doesn't sound like the robot he used to be when he was Von Karma's understudy. This letter doesn't sound as guarded.

Maybe this means he's opening up to me? Maybe I'm being a little too hopeful? My head is spinning right now. I need to talk to someone that understands... Grabbing my phone I punch in a number and listen to the phone buzz as it tries to connect. 

"Nick?"

"Hey Maya, yeah it's me."