Chapter 8: Dreams Come True, My Nightmares Did Too

Phoenix's POV:

-a month later-

Its more than I can hope for. He comes over once in awhile, or I come to his office and we chat like we usually do. I don't expect him to be all lovey dovey in public, he isn't the only one who would prefer to keep this private. He's still sort of nervous around me, especially in public. Maybe it's just part of him and his personality to be that way, but he knows I won't hurt him right?

We have crossed some lines recently though. He doesn't stiffen anymore when I drape an arm over his shoulder when we're watching TV or doing anything really. Actually, he's got into the habit of subconsciously leaning on me if we're sitting next to each other, but quickly scooting away when I move. Once, he actually fell asleep on my shoulder when we were watching some sort of movie late at my house. He stayed over that night. That was the first time we actually slept in the same bed together. Also, he hasn't had any nightmares lately which I'm really happy for.

Nevertheless, he just seems so nervous sometimes when he's around me. Sometimes when I'm talking with him he looks almost sad or regretful. Once I caught him writing red Xs on his calendar, like he was counting down the days. After I got reassured he wasn't running off again, he gave me that sad expression of his again. He's been taking a lot of cases lately, so much that sometimes I have to carry him to bed because he falls asleep over paperwork. It freaks me out how it seems so much like he's going to leave for Germany and is trying to do as much as good as possible while he's still here. 

I'm just worried about him, but he says he's fine every time. After I ask he always kisses me or suggests a movie, like he wants me to forget it. When I'm tired, I usually forget but when that sad expression crosses his face it always comes rushing back. There has to be something wrong with this picture, but I can't put my finger on it. 

Miles shifts slightly and his hair softly brushes against my neck as he cautiously leans his head on my chest. He sits there for awhile just listening to my heartbeat I think, before he talks.

"I find this movie fairly boring, what about you?"

"I agree, do you want to watch something else?"

"Not really, but if you want to..."

"Nah, I'm good."

I power off the TV and I dump the remote on the coffee table in front of us. As Miles scoots away I grab his hand and twine our fingers together, squeezing softly. The warmth in his eyes when he squeezes back makes me feel toasty on the inside. I scoot towards him and I wrap my arm around him in a half hug.

"Did you change out of your work clothes?"

"Why? Do I smell like wet dog?"

"More like a swamp."

"Hey, it's not like you changed either."

"True."

"You still smell nice if you're worried about that."