Chapter 5: Lost in Thought

I started a little challenge series lately. If you like one shots you should check it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miles' POV:

I'm just sitting here staring absently at case papers and thinking although anything on the paper was far off from my thoughts. Frankly, I'm not an idiot. I know what a kiss is, I know the basics of how people end up infatuated with each other, even if I haven't myself experienced this. Really though, it's not like I'm unfamiliar with gay people to put it bluntly. I've had my experiences with cases. They seem to be fairly normal people unlike some people would have others believe. 

However, knowing one is a whole other thing. Wright, really? I never would have guessed, he had Iris and Dahlia after all. I shouldn't assume things too quickly, one shouldn't make a case with without all of the facts in line. In this case, the evidence seems pretty decisive though in a way. He did just kiss a man, me to be exact right on the lips and ran away blushing afterwards.

I can't say it wasn't nice, but it was also was unexpected. My mind didn't register who in the heavens I was kissing at first, not until he was literally fleeing from the room. There has to be some rational sane reason why my lips are still tingling after so long. It could've been because it was my first... yes, that's it. I just liked it because it was my first kiss that's all. Nothing more. 

Looking back at my case file, the words start to clear and make sense once again. I should just get to work instead of mulling over this accident. Wright just slipped or something and he kissed me. No commotion, not relevant to anything. After an unknown period of time, I pack things up and I leave. Locking up behind me I stare at the darkened hallway. 

Maggey isn't on duty today, or she's on her break, because the guard station is empty. I'm going to guess the latter considering her guard jacket is still there. Then I notice the sign blocking off the door to the stairs. Elevator it is then. As I hit the button to call the elevator, I feel panic start to rise in my throat. The doors to the elevator swing open and I step inside steeling myself as they shut behind me. It moves down slowly, but right around when it almost reached the garage floor, the lights went out. The elevator is still moving, but panic overtakes me anyway. 

Oh God, something is going to happen to me, I'm going to die here, shot in the heart just like him. I can feel myself hyperventilating as I crumple into a ball on the floor of the elevator, my head in my knees. Faintly I can hear soft whimpering through the sound of my rapid breathing. However, even through the immense panic I feel a fleeting sense of calm. It's much like I'm floating above my body, that I'm not actually there, merely watching, a bystander.

Even as the door opens I still feel oddly disoriented as well as lightheaded. The panic starts to recede thanks to the light, but I stay on the floor. My body is wracked with violent shakes and shudders, no matter how much I try to stop. I have to pull myself together, no one can see me like this. That blackout, it brought back everything that happened before in scary detail. The panic, the gunshots, the bloodcurdling scream that has pierced my nightmares for years on. All the guilt I feel for everything that happened, that I could've done something differently, taken the shot instead of him. I should have done something to save my father, but no like the weakling I am, I passed out. I know Wright cleared me to be not guilty in legal terms he said that I shouldn't blame myself, but I still can't stop the guilt. In all honesty though, I can't tell him that, because he won't stop trying to convince me until I'm dead and gone, and maybe even more afterward.