Chapter II | School Dance

5.

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐃𝐚𝐲

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐃𝐚𝐲

𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐕𝐢𝐞𝐰

Tonight was the annual back to school sock hop and tomorrow would be my first day back as a junior at Redfield High School. Not that I was particularly excited, Redfield wasn't exactly a cordial school, but I was excited to reunite with my olde gang of friends once again. As if I haven't spent all of my summer warm days with them, but Gus had suggested to us that this school year would be the one where we'd rule. Of course I questioned him on exactly how were three year amateurs going to take over the school and he expectantly only replied with a grin and said, 'Wait and see brother', whatever that particularly meant. I had met Gus and the guys back in ninth grade. Heath was the eldest, being a year older than all of us he had repeated his ninth grade year. Us had all made friends quickly and we'd gotten along great, it was like I knew them my whole life. We sworn our loyalty to each other, binding our blood under an old oak tree that resided in a park that we used to hang at. They were my forever brothers I never had.

"Hey Gray, you've seen Heath tonight?" Theo asked, catching me by surprise, breaking me out of my trance.

"Oh hey, no man. I can't say I have," I replied.

"Yeah, me neither, I'd be surprised if he even shows up tomorrow," Theo says before awkwardly shoving both hands into his jean pockets. I could tell he was feeling anxious because of the scenery. He was a bit antisocial, except for with the guys and I. He always remained as the quiet one in the group, Heath on the other hand was like a overprotective, serious, and dominating big brother; Gus was the rebel, and I was well the glue that kept everyone together and sane.

"He has to, tomorrow's the first day of school. He'd never leave us high and dry like that," I said.

"Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he did," Theo continues.

Heath definitely wasn't one to let us down, that was more of Gus' style, but Heath being serious, he also was a secretive person, he'd often never would show his true feelings and he kept his personal life private. There was a mystery surrounding him, he didn't tell us everything about him.

"He will come, have faith in him," I replied.

We fell into a brief silence before I realized, while looking around at all of the gyrating teenagers on the dance floor, Gus was no where in sight.

"What about Gus, you seen him? I drove with him but once we've arrived we parted ways, he was off to chase after some chicks," I said.

"Typical him, but yea last time I seen him he was out in the parking lot downing some booze," Theo said.

"No, there's no way. He wouldn't," I said.

"Last time I checked he was," Theo replied.

"I just lectured him about this on our way here," I said before walking off.