Chapter VII | Rebel Without A Cause

10.

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐃𝐚𝐲

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐞𝐱𝐭 𝐃𝐚𝐲

𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐕𝐢𝐞𝐰

I nonchalantly puffed off the cigarette that was pressed between my lips while simultaneously sitting on the bed dressed in a black leather jacket, with a white tee, and blue jeans. I watched my father who stood in the doorway for the past three minutes, he angrily glared at me from behind through the mirror. I bet he thought I looked defiant as ever. His arms were folded and his face was stern with an unwavering expression that conveyed disappointment and frustration.

"What's going on?" I said, finally deciding to break the silence.

"You know what's going on, we need to talk about you and your behavior," my father replied. His voice was palpable. Continuing he said, "Let me just ask you, what kind of future do you think you're headed for with your ways and defeatist attitude," he asked.

Sighing, I then replied, "Dad I don't really care about the future or where I'll be, I'm just trying to get through today," I said honestly.

"Well it's about time you start caring. Heath you can't just do whatever you want and expect everyone to accommodate you. You need to learn to be responsible, to work hard, and to think of your future," he said.

Looking at him in grimace I then replied, "Don't you dare tell me about being responsible, let's not forget I practically raised myself meanwhile you were out in the streets drugging all the time," I said truthfully.

"Look, my point is you can't keep pointlessly rebelling against everything and everyone, without a cause or a purpose. You think that makes you a man, but it's not manly, that's childish," he said.

Only rolling my eyes, I asked, "What am I rebelling against?"

"Exactly," he echoed, "That's my point. You're a rebel without a cause. You're so focused on pushing back against authority that you don't even know what you're fighting for. You're convinced that you know best, that you don't need anyone else's guidance. But let me tell you, son, there's a big fucking world out there, and it's not always forgiving to those who refuse to learn from their mistakes."

I could only scowl. A rebel without a cause, that was rich coming from him of all. Feeling a wave of anger, I didn't want to hear anymore of the lecture, but he wasn't finished.

"You need to start thinking about your future Heath. You need to start taking responsibility for yourself. Otherwise, you're going to end up going nowhere fast. Is that really what you want," he asked.

I began to open up my mouth to retort, but then I hesitated. I knew that my father was right deep down, but I felt a sense of pride inside that prevented me from admitting it. Nevertheless, I knew I was lost, adrift, and I didn't know how to find my way. And for the first time ever, I realized that there may been some truth to this statement. The words were truthfully needed but not from him.