Chapter VIII | The Boys Are Back

11.

𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐕𝐢𝐞𝐰

I stepped out of the school's building into the stillness of the quiet courtyard. The resounding chime of the final bell signaled the end of the school's day. As I walked across the concrete walkway, I spotted Gray and Gus gathered at what was our usual spot for the past following two years. I walked over, approaching them with a light smile. I must admit it was a relief seeing their familiar faces once again after a long day of feeling like an outsider.

"How's it going, guys?" I asked as I joined their company.

Gus raised an eyebrow slightly at me before saying, "Oh, you know, same old same old. School's been a drag but what's new?"

As time went on, we discussed our plans for the remainder of the day, also while sharing stories from our classes we had. We delved deep into the moment, conversation for the past five minutes seemed to have flowed quite effortlessly. Offering colorful commentary with witty remarks.

As we stood around under the grand oak tree, conversation then became filled with silences when suddenly, there was the sound of leaves crunching beneath someone's feet causing us three to turn our heads to see Theo, with a hopeful smile on his face.

"Theo! Where have you been all this time?" Gray asked as he leaned up off the trunk of the tree.

"Hey, guys. Sorry, I got held up in Biology class and I missed you guys for lunch," Theo said.

"Nerd," Gus mockingly muttered under his breath.

Theo, making eye contact with me, gazed momentarily at my swollen eye. I discerned his concernment, yet he averted his gaze ever so, refraining from addressing the matter directly.

"Good to see you Heath," he said to me.

"Come here you," I said before walking over to embrace him into a tight bear hug, lifting him up off of the ground, "Good to see you too man," I said.

Eager to catch up, Theo inquired, "So, what I missed?" he asked as I let him down.

Gray fidgeted nervously with the hem of his shirt as he looked to Theo with blushed cheeks that were of a faint shade of pink.

"What?" Theo questioned as he stared at the boy.

"There's been drama." Gus nonchalantly interrupted, causing us all to then look at him.

"You know the girl Brooklyn, I met yesterday. Well, I just had a run in with her brother earlier that's all." Gray said.

"What happened?" Theo asked curiously.

"Gray kissed her, now her brother wants to kill him," Gus replied.

Theo raised an eyebrow in a surprised way at Gray before saying, "Sounds tense."