Chapter V | To What Do I Owe The Pleasure

8.

𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐲'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐎𝐟 𝐕𝐢𝐞𝐰

I found my self wandering down the street of the rugged neighborhood, it wasn't particularly a place for a boy like me to be but here I was. Before leaving home Mr. McCann and I had gotten into a heated fight, of course after Ms. Jenson left. He had no particular reasoning to be upset with me or any of the others for the matter, he just wanted to expel his rage out on someone and like usual the person who happened to take the heat was me of course. He ran me into the grandfather clock that was in the hallway and not to mention he also striked me across the face with a dinner knife. No damage was severely done although I was left with a tiny scratch. After all that happened I decided it was best to flee.

I had sat outside of the green brick house that I had gotten familiar with knowing over the past few years. Taking a deep sigh I prompted myself before knocking on the door. At first there was no answer but then I heard some brief shuffling around before the door finally opened revealing Mrs. Michaels.

"Hello Mrs. Michaels, is Gus home? I don't mean to intrude," I said.

"Gray, hi. What a pleasant surprise seeing you again, hold on a second," she said before turning around, away from my view, "Gus," she called out from behind.

"I'm coming," I heard the boy yell from upstairs.

Mrs. Michaels then smiled towards the direction of the stairs before turning her gaze back towards me.

"Come on in dear," she said while holding the door open for me.

"Thank you ma'am," I said.

Mrs. Michaels was a very good noble woman, very supportive. I would have considered her almost like a second mother, nourishing like my real mother was and better than the foster mother Mrs. McCann hardly ever was.

It was just her and Gus that lived here, unfortunately her other son Cain and her husband Richard had died a few years prior.

I would often come over from time to time whenever things at home for me were too much of a trouble, she'd let me spend many nights.

"Would you like for something to eat or drink?" she asked.

"Oh no ma'am, thank you," I replied.

She only shook her head before smiling once more.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" I heard a voice say from behind.

Turning around I looked over by the staircase to see a shirtless Gus staring at me with his hands on his hips.

"Can I not visit my best friend without their being a motive?" I asked him.

"No," the boy said before smirking.