chapter nine.

CHAPTER NINE:SISTERS OF THE MOON

CHAPTER NINE:
SISTERS OF THE MOON.

⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅

THE LOOMING POSSIBILITY of being pulled over wasn't enough to slow Birdie down. As soon as she turned the ignition of her motorcycle, she took off in a haste. She weaved her way in and out of traffic, barely scraping by unscathed when there were a few close calls——mostly on everyone else's part, though, as Birdie swore she was very cautious.

The drive to Kaiya's that would've taken almost two and a half hours had been turned into just a little under an hour, Birdie almost certain that she ran a few stop signs when she cut through alleyways and neighborhoods (which she was very careful when going through to make sure she watched out for little kids that might've been crossing the street).

Her heart was rapidly racing inside her chest the entire time, her hands sweaty and clammy the closer she got to reaching Kaiya. She did her best not to think of all the things that could've possibly gone wrong for Kaiya on her way to the house, but some thoughts still managed to claw their way into her already frantic mind. It urged the woman to go faster, thankful that she'd put in her earpiece that allowed her to answer any calls as she hoped Kaiya would call her again, but she didn't receive any more calls from her friend.

Birdie hastily pulled into Kaiya's narrow driveway and parked beside the woman's jeep, kicking down the kickstand of her motorcycle as she clambered off of the seat. Thankfully, Kaiya lived at the end of a dead-end road, none of her neighbors outside at the moment due to the imposing threat of a thunderstorm creeping closer and closer. She quickly reached into her bag, grabbing her silver flask filled with holy water and a large can of salt just as a precaution. She tucked them in one of the inside pockets of her jacket with ease before pulling her gun from the holster, sprinting towards the front door.

She carefully opened the front door after making sure there wasn't anyone lingering outside, her panic-ridden eyes frantically looking around the house for any sign of Kaiya.

Kaiya's house was an absolute mess——the recliner in the living room off to the side was knocked over on its side with the handlebar broken off. Her glass coffee table was shattered across her fuzzy rug, the TV remote smashed to bits near some crumpled-up magazines with some pages partially torn. There was a dent in the wall just beside the TV, pictures of Kaiya's youth discarded on the floor with broken frames and cracked glass like they'd been knocked from the wall when something was shoved against it. The kitchen table was completely broken in half, the wood splintered with tiny pieces spread across the wooden floor. One of the chairs was toppled over behind the island counter, a back leg broke off and on the ground near the fridge where blood still dripped down from the end of it.

Birdie's eyes widened in horror, quickly stepping inside and closing the door behind her. "Kaiya?" she cautiously called out, making her way towards the basement where the demon was meant to be trapped. Birdie cautiously lifted her gun in front of her, eyes flickering from side to side as she made her way towards the door to make sure no one would suddenly jump out at her to attack. "Kai?"