chapter forty six.

XLVI

XLVI. NO BODY, NO CRIME.

☽ ༓ ☾

RAIN HAD NEVER poured down as harshly as it did the day Birdie Fowler died.

Storms of all varieties had spread across the entire United States, making the ground tremble with each rumble of thunder that echoed across the blackened skies. Thunder and lightning storms were almost everywhere, rain just drenching the ground with no end in sight. Tornadoes were forming and destroying everything that stood in its path, devastating thousands of towns. Hurricanes headed for the coasts, growing stronger and more deadlier the closer it got to washing over land. Fear was everywhere, staining the earth as something even more sinister returned after years of being locked away in a daunting cage. Some people knew what was happening⎯⎯⎯they could feel it, an eerie chill that traveled up their spines and twisted the insides of their stomachs like they were about to vomit. Illnesses⎯⎯⎯both current and ones that hadn't been around for centuries, more natural disasters, rampant riots, and just about every kind of other thing that could go wrong had occurred simultaneously when Lucifer was freed from his cage.

Demons alike celebrated their sweet, sweet victory as the terrible news spread like wildfire, tormenting innocent people and families and running amok in order to show their joy at the archangels' newfound freedom.

And, none of that would have been possible if it wasn't for Dean Winchester breaking the first seal in Hell and Sam Winchester breaking the last one.

Of course neither of the boys knew that those were seals until after, and it was too late to turn back now.

Lucifer was free and there was nothing they could do to change it.

Sam shook his head as he stared at his reflection in the crooked mirror, his gruff hands trembling as he tightly gripped the ledge of the sink for some kind of support. Dean was just outside the door, probably cursing at Sam in his head over and over again for not listening to him from the very start. He let out a shaky breath, clenching his eyes shut as Ruby's manipulative voice echoed inside his head. He tried and tried to drown it out, to push the wretched demon to the very back of his already racing mind, but it was no use.

The scene was put on repeat and he could do nothing but rewatch it unfold yet again.

Blood ooozed from Lilith's body in a steady stream, gradually flowing into the middle of the room as if it was being done deliberately. Sam furrowed his brows together as he cautiously walked closer, watching the blood with confusion. He glanced over at Ruby as she moved closer as well, looking at the blood again. It had to be moving with purpose, but how?

"What the hell?" Sam asked.

"I can't believe it," Ruby whispered.

"Ruby, what's going on?" Sam asked, noticing the blood was starting to form a circle on the ground.