𝐢𝐢.Pointless Apologies

March, 1927

March, 1927

   "HOW ABOUT A DINNER?"

   Leta turns to look at the two Scamander brothers and Circe with a pleased smile. The book launch has officially ended, and the group of four is free to do anything. She purposely ignores the tension created especially by Theseus and Circe.

   Newt signed about a hundred copies of his book, feeling like he could use a short nap, and a relieving ointment for his hand. Besides, he's been avoiding dinner with Leta and Theseus ever since they've announced their engagement. Which was a while ago.

   Circe notices the hesitation in the Magizoologist, and she approaches Newt, hooking her arm in his with a bright and proud smile decorating her lips. She has supported Newt on his journey of writing the book since day one, and seeing the book be out in the public, read by people who love it ... she's genuinely happy for Newt's accomplishment.

   He's finally getting some of the recognition he deserves. Getting out of the ridiculous shadow his older brother has cast upon him by being a war hero, for going against orders of the Minister for Magic.

   Yet he still couldn't bring himself to go against orders of the Head of the Magical Law Enforcement. When that man is just barely above the Head Auror in station, when it comes to investigations and catching dark wizards.

   "You can say no," Circe whispers to Newt. "They will have to understand. Besides, I have just as much reason to say no, and maybe we could just have dinner together. We could invite Bunty along; maybe she's done feeding the creatures already. And before you ask, yes I am possibly inviting myself over to your flat for dinner. Which I'm probably going to cook anyway."

   Newt looks at the Dalton woman, surprised by how well she seems to know him, amused by the self-invitation. Which he doesn't mind. He presses his lips together and shakes his head.

   "No, I think we should go. The both of us," he says, chancing a glance at Leta and Theseus. The pair walks side by side, but there is a distance between them; not physical — mental. One that probably has to do with the presence of Newt and Circe behind them. There is history, and there is tension. But they are adults. And they've become quite skilled in pretending that nothing is wrong.