𝐱.Time Is of the Essence

September, 1927

September, 1927

   CIRCE SITS IN A CAFÉ.

   It's located in Place Cachée, the wizarding part of Paris, which is accessed through the Moving Statue, a woman who sits upon a pedestal. It's quite complicated to walk through during the day, since there are muggles walking past, but Circe and her mother managed it without spotting a single muggle. It gave Circe great relief, not having to listen to her mother complain about them.

   They're staying at her cousin Darcy's flat. She's lived in Paris since she finished her education at Hogwarts over twenty-five years ago now, and she seems very content with her life outside of England. Not that it matters too much where she lives, since her job as a Curse-Breaker requires her to travel around the world more often than she gets to sleep in her own bed.

   Currently, Darcy is working a job in Brazil, therefore, her entire flat is free to be used by Circe and Aera however they want as long as they don't break anything, or put everything back to its original place before they leave.

   The mother and daughter haven't been in Paris for more than an hour, only settling into their respective rooms and seeing whether they have food to eat, yet Circe already managed to become exasperated with her mother. It resulted in her leaving the flat and ending up sitting at the first café she saw, hoping to have a cup of coffee and a croissant to make herself feel slightly better.

   She hates to admit it, but Julie and Leta (even the subtle hints from Gwyn) were right when they expressed that they doubt Circe could last long in the presence of her mother. It hadn't even been an hour since their feet landed in Paris, and she was on the road to getting as far away from Aera as she could.

   The Dalton witch sighs, rubbing her temples in frustration. She would prefer to be able to scream her lungs out and release some of the underlying anger alongside every other negative feeling she's had in the past months, but she can't.

   Instead, she sits at a café, smiling at the waiter as they bring her a cup of coffee and a croissant per her request. She thanks them quietly, immediately taking a sip of the hot beverage that tastes almost as bitter as she feels.