𝐱𝐢𝐢.A Rescue Attempt

September, 1927

September, 1927

   CIRCE FELL ASLEEP.

   Not intentionally, of course, but there are only so many things a person can do when they have zero means of escape. There are only so many topics that two witches who just met can discuss together, too.

   So, both women sat down on the ground in defeat, leaning against some crates that were already in the cell when Kama brought them there. They tried keeping each other awake for as long as possible by asking each other questions, sometimes even more personal ones.

   Circe found out that Tina's dating an Auror back in America because of the misprinted article in Spellbound that claimed Newt Scamander was engaged to Leta Lestrange. Tina did not let Circe explain that it was factually wrong, and that Newt is actually smitten with her.

   Instead, Tina managed to change the topic of their conversation entirely, bringing up the fact that she remembered why Circe's name was familiar. She'd read it in the newspapers after the Dalton brothers were arrested. Which only brought the regular rant about the British Ministry's incompetence.

   Circe and Tina tried their best. Genuinely, they did. But eventually, both witches fell asleep.

   It's not until the sounds of steps echo through the underground sewer that Circe awakes and rises to her feet. She notices that the barred door that's been keeping her and Tina prisoner disappeared, and on the other side of it stands a wizard that is a sight for sore eyes, truly.

   He and a man she doesn't recognise enter their cell, clearing their throat. It wakes up even Tina, who scrambles to her feet in an instant, standing next to Circe in her full height.

   "Tina," says Newt, staring at the American Auror.

   Circe fights the urge to roll her eyes at how obviously in love her friend is. He ignores the Dalton witch's presence almost entirely, but she shakes her head and begins to make her way toward Newt.