eighteen

Hey, is this my villain origin story?

I wave Luis off, grinning from ear to ear.

I really do love him. As a friend... i meant as a friend, definitely nothing more than platonic love. Friends that have had sex.

There's an unfamiliar car in the driveway, but i don't really pay attention to it. Maybe Niko crashed his. Again.

Clearing my throat, i push my key in the front door, twisting it and pushing it open.

"The best looking one in the family is home!" i call out as i drag my suitcase in.

I look up when no one rushes to the door to greet me and frown. Then my face falls, my heart dropping.

The first thing i notice when i look up is Kobe.

She's sat on the couch, her head bowed and her hands in her lap. Her face is expressionless.

My heart begins to race.

"Bee?" i say softly and she looks up at me. "What's wrong?"

Kobe motions her head to her left, in the direction of the dining table.

As i follow her gaze, my soul leaves my body.

"Hey little sis."

I blink. I must be hallucinating. There's no way she's here right now.

The girl sat in front of me is my older sister, Niko's twin, Nellie.

I stare at her as she gives me a small smile.

Wait.

No. No, no, no.

That must mean...

My head turns toward the direction of the kitchen, where i'm suddenly all too aware of the muffled voices.

I drop my duffle bag to my feet, walking over to the kitchen door and pushing it open. It swings back, banging against the wall behind it.

My heart feels like it's been torn out of my chest. I can't breath. My lips are parted as i stare at the man stood opposite my mother, her face tear stained.

"Devyn, my beautiful girl." my father says, stepping towards me.

I can't breathe. I can't even think.

I turn on my heels, discarding everything that was happening in there.

"Where's Niko?" i manage as i walk over to Kobe.

"He locked himself in his room." she says quietly, staring at the ground.

I take off up the stairs, two at a time until i reach Niko's room across the hall from mine.

I knock gently.

"Niko?" i breathe. "It's me."

I stand back from the door.

After a few moments, the lock clicks and the door opens. I walk in through the gap and close it behind me before looking up at my brother.