Part 26 - Treed

I awoke to the sound of barking. Brittany’s dog, Haff, I assumed. My eye opened a bit. The air was gray. Early morning. I thought it was still sprinkling, but it might’ve been runoff from the trees.

Cold, so cold. Shivers wracked my body, and with each shake, I ached worse. The dog kept barking. He was right beneath me.

Then Brittany came out the back door. I groaned, wishing I were anywhere but there.

“Oh, my God,” she said. “Oh, my God. Butt Crack, get out here.”

A door slammed. Then her brother said, “Holy crap.”

I guess I lost a little time. The next thing I knew, the ropes were jerking and I was swaying. The pain was so bad, I couldn’t help crying out.

They lowered me to the ground. I flinched when my bare back touched the grass. Man, all I had on was my underwear. Why did everything happen to me? Excruciating heat gushed into my arms as I flexed my fingers. I heard whimpering. It sounded like my voice.

“Call 9-1-1,” Brittany said.

“No,” I croaked, surprised I could speak. “No hospital, no police.”

“At least, let me get my mother. She’s a nurse. She can help.”

“Please don’t.”

I heard tears in her voice. “Why?”

Because I’m different, I thought. Your mother won’t get me. She might have to call a veterinarian.

“Secret,” I whispered. I was shaking so hard, I wasn’t sure she understood.

“Get a blanket,” she cried in a squeaky voice.

Butt Crack tore away. The next thing I knew, I was sitting up, and they were wrapping something warm and dry around my shoulders. The dog growled, foraging in the bushes.

“My mother is in the shower getting ready for work,” Brittany said, and I understood her to mean she couldn’t take me into the house.

“The shack by the old well,” I said.

“What shack?” she said, sounding both frightened and exasperated.

“I know the one,” said Butt Crack.

They got me to my feet. Movement made me nauseous, and if I’d had anything in my stomach, I might have barfed right there. Holding my breath, I shambled barefoot over the stick-strewn lawn. It took forever, but at last, I made it to the shack I’d seen the night I was patrolling the yard.

Butt Crack stacked magazines and comics so I could sit on them. By the time I got inside, I tasted blood. I didn’t have enough strength to swallow, so I let it trickle down my lips.

Brittany knelt to tug the blanket around me. “Who did this to you?”

“Eff,” I said, “and friends.”

“Oh, God. You’re bleeding.” Her voice quavered. She stood beside me. “I’m calling a doctor.”

“No.” I latched onto her hand. My thoughts whirled. If you’re ever in trouble. Day or night. “Call Howard.”

Her voice cracked. “Garage Sale Howard?”

I thought I nodded, but I wasn’t sure.

I must have lost a little more time, because I woke to someone lifting my eyelids. Howard’s face came into focus.

I tried to smile. “Got any tea?”

He looked grave. “You have to come to my house. It’s going to hurt.”