Part 32 - Losing Track

The following week school was chaotic. Classes were pre-empted for the FCAT. The tests weren’t hard, but the stress left me drained. I blame that as much as anything for losing track of the day.

“Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day,” I blurted as I rushed into the living room.

Uncle Bob looked up from the television. “Kind of snuck up on you, eh?”

“Well, yeah. I mean, except for exchanging cards in kindergarten, I never—”

“Did you buy her a present?”

I shook my head. Buying a gift for Brittany hadn’t worked out so well last time. “I thought I’d make her a nice dinner.”

“Good thinking. The way to a lady’s heart, and all that. But I didn’t know you could cook.”

“I’ve seen people cook. How hard can it be?” I sat in the chair next to his big old recliner. “Do you think you could arrange to be… gone?”

He laughed. “I’ll tell you what. Not only will I be gone, I’ll even drive you to the grocery store to pick up the things you need.”

“That was going to be my next question.”

He switched off the TV. “Let’s go.”

He took me to Publix, a grocery chain that seemed to be popping up on every corner. As we went through the door, a large Valentine’s Day display greeted us.

“You see?” I pointed. “Now that’s a helpful reminder.”

“You should get flowers for the table.”

“I don’t know.”

“Sure. What girl—”

“Doesn’t like flowers.” I laughed. “All right, but not roses. I want to keep it casual. In case she hates it.”

“She won’t.” He rummaged through the stand. “Here’s a nice assortment. Daisies, carnations, and one rose. You put the flowers in water, but take the rose out and lay it on her plate.”

I grinned as I pictured it. “Perfect.”

I put a box of spaghetti, a jar of marinara, and some shredded mozzarella in the cart. I found sesame breadsticks. I added a two-liter bottle of Dew.

“How about some ice cream for dessert?” my uncle asked.

“I think she would rather have cake.”

“Great. They have a terrific bakery here.”

“I want to do it myself,” I said. “I want to make everything from scratch.”

So I bought a chocolate cake mix and a can of fudge frosting. I even got a bag of chocolate chips to sprinkle on top.

As we got into line to check out, I noticed a bin of videos selling for a dollar. I decided to buy one. It couldn’t be too romantic, though. After all, we were just friends. I picked out Homeward Bound, a movie about two dogs and a cat crossing the country to get back to their owners. The cover got a ten on the cute-and-cuddly scale.

After we got home, I called Brittany. “Hi.” I felt suddenly unsure.

“Hi.”

“Do you want to come over to my house tomorrow night?”

Her voice smiled. “Anything special?”

“No. Just dinner and a movie.”

“Sounds great. What time?”

“How about six?”

“I’ll be there.”

We hung up, and I stared at the phone, wondering what I was getting myself into. I’d never cooked anything other than heating things up in the microwave. That night, I was so nervous I hardly slept.