Part 69 - Unappreciated and Misunderstood

Howard, Rita, and Uncle Bob were in the living room as I came through the door.

"Cody," my uncle yelped, hopping up from the arm of the recliner. "I thought you were asleep in your room."

"Nah. I had to go get our clothes." I dropped the backpack onto the floor with a satisfying thud.

Three pairs of eyes stared at me. I wiggled my brows.

"Were you seen?" Rita asked in a husky whisper.

I nodded. "They were there."

Uncle Bob groaned. "You're just egging them on, boy."

I bristled. "Would you rather they blackmailed us?"

"I'd rather you let the adults handle this."

I glared at him. Where was my pat on the back, my well done, boy? I could have been killed for all he cared.

Howard dumped the backpack onto the floor. There was a puff of dust and a bounce of pebbles. "Looks like everything is here. Problem solved."

"One of them, anyway," Uncle Bob mumbled.

"What other is there?" I blurted.

"You!" He jabbed his finger at me. "I can't have you climbing out your window anytime you feel like it."

"Now, Bob," Rita said.

He waved an arm toward me. "He's a kid. He doesn't even understand the situation."

Howard gathered the filthy clothes. "I'll drop these into the washing machine."

"I'll help," my uncle snapped.

They walked down the hall. It was all I could do to keep from stomping out of the house. "So, now I'm too young? Too stupid?"

"Of course not," Rita said. "He didn't mean it like that."

"Sure sounded like it."

"Sit down." She motioned to the kitchen chair Howard had vacated.

I pulled it closer and sat. She reached to pat my hand. I saw that the movement pained her. "Bob and I have been through this type of thing before," she said. "Some people are animals. You can't go to the police. You're pretty much on your own."

"I know that. Why do you think I went to get the clothes?"

"It was a brave thing to do. But if you had taken Bob and Howard with you, there would have been back up. It would have been three against three."

I opened my mouth then closed it again. My shoulders slumped. If Brittany hadn't happened by, the pack would have torn me to shreds. I was lucky to be alive.

"Bob loves you, Cody. But aside from that, he's your guardian. He feels responsible."

"Well, I feel responsible, too," I told her in a low voice. "It's kind of my fault the pack came after us in the first place. You see, I found out where they were staying, and I confronted the leader."

"You what?" Uncle Bob bellowed behind me.

I jumped. I hadn't realized he was there.

"That does it," he yelled. "From now on, you don't go anywhere without my expressed permission. Do you understand? You are grounded."

"Fine." I stood so quickly, the chair toppled to the floor. "May I still go to Brittany's house for Easter dinner tomorrow? They're expecting me."

"Yes," he hissed, his eyes savage. "But I'll drive you."

I nodded once to show I understood. I was so mad I didn't trust my voice.

"All right," he said, looking away. Dismissing me. "Wait in your room until nightfall."

"I'm not going out with you tonight." I scowled. "I think I'll turn in early."

"Aren't you coming with us?" Rita asked, her eyes wide.

"I don't feel like shifting."

"Don't feel," Uncle Bob sputtered. "Don't you have to?"

I glared at him. "No. I don't have to."

Emotions crossed his face—anger, disbelief, but most of all, fear. Rita's eyes widened further, until she looked like a caricature.

I'd said something wrong. I shouldn't have told them I could control the shift. But it was too late to back down now. I went to my room thinking I didn't fit in anywhere. I was as lousy at being a werewolf as I was at being a boy.