Part 48 - The Story Keepers Potion

Monday after school, we climbed into Brittany's car and drove to her house to study. Brittany chattered nonstop about her day with her mother at the Farmer's Market, and how the flowers were wilted and she made the man go back into his truck to get fresh ones. I made noncommittal sounds, watching her. Her hair was prickly with styling gel. I wanted to run my cheek over it and bury my face in her neck. Of course, she was driving, so I didn't.

When we turned onto the dirt road that ran alongside her house, the topic changed to her brother's report card. He was good in math and miserable in English. There was concern in her voice. She might call him names and bully him, but he mattered to her.

Something pinged off the hood of the car, and I heard the distinctive pop of a pellet gun. I glanced around. Grandpa Earle sat under his favorite tree, pointing his rifle into the woods.

"That man." Brittany parked the car. "He's driving me crazy."

We hurried across the lawn. A naked guy a couple years older than me streaked through the yard. He looked like he worked out. I glanced at Brittany, hoping she hadn't noticed him.

Grandpa took another shot and missed. "Dang jackrabbits."

Brittany raised her voice. "What are you doing?"

"Protecting my property," Grandpa Earle said. "That one's been back three or four times."

"I'm surprised the Sunspot hasn't called Sheriff Brad."

"He's already been by. He was in a fine mood." Grandpa Earle chuckled. "It seems the boys got their comeuppance."

Brittany wrinkled her nose. "What boys?"

"That Efrem Higgins and a few of his football buddies got sentenced to community service. Serves them right."

Brittany's eyes met mine. She looked alarmed.

"Brad even showed me a few of the snapshots they were said to be carrying," Grandpa Earle said. "I didn't say anything at the time, but it seems those photos were taken right over there. I'd sure feel bad to know you were keeping important secrets, Missy."

"Don't be silly," Brittany said.

I couldn't let her lie to her grandfather. "You're right, sir. The photos were taken in those trees."

He sat a bit straighter in his chair. "Well, boy, you look hale and hearty to me."

"I am, sir."

"Ah, I get it." He smiled and tapped the side of his nose. "You went to that medicine man. I knew you had smarts in you."

Medicine man? Did he mean Howard?

"The important thing is the boys got what was coming to them," Brittany said.

"Amen." Grandpa Earle chortled. In a flash, he sighted through his rifle and fired. "Dang jackrabbits."

Brittany shook her head. "Let's get out of here."

We walked toward the house with our fingers entwined. I wished someone were around to see her hold my hand. Behind us, we heard another shot, and someone yelped. Grandpa Earle roared with laughter.

"You don't think there will be retaliation over this community service thing, do you?" Brittany said.

I thought of Eff's face when he called a truce outside Overhill's office. "I expect this is the last we'll hear of it."

"Good." She smiled and climbed the steps. "Although, I don't think they'll be so quick to jump you now that you got muscles."

"What? I don't have muscles."