Part 38 - Breaking the Curse

The temperature dropped a few degrees as a cool front passed through the area. Rain spattered the kitchen window. The view looked as dismal as I felt.

I heated a mug of chocolate milk in the microwave and sat at the kitchen table, staring at it. I pictured the scene with Brittany like a third party, seeing both her horrified face and mine with drool and fur all over it. God, why did everything happen to me?

A quiet rap sounded at the door. For a moment, I considered not answering. But my uncle was still asleep. If he woke, he would want to know where I'd been all night. So I pushed heavily to my feet and went to the door.

Brittany stood there. My heart wrenched at the sight of her. She wore no makeup, and her eyes were red.

I'd hurt her again, I realized, wishing to somehow take back the night.

Afraid she might yell, I hurried outside and closed the door behind me. But she didn't yell. Instead, she walked to the porch swing and sat down. Tentatively, I sat beside her. We rocked in silence.

"So," she said after a moment. "That was a really big secret."

"Yeah."

"I thought you were a dog when I saw you at my house."

I looked down at my hands.

She paused then said in a rush, "I know I shouldn't have followed you, and I don't blame you for being mad. I really thought I would catch you with another girl."

Was she apologizing to me? "I don't want another girl." A tear fell down my cheek. Damn it. I looked away so she wouldn't see.

"I still can't—" She shook her head. "You're a werewolf."

"I don't want to be," I blurted. "I'd stop if I could."

She put her hand over mine. "I would love to be a part-time wolf."

I stared at her. Had I heard her right?

"Run through the woods, no rules, no problems." She gave a faint smile. "What's it like?"

I searched for words, wanting to tell her, but I couldn't even explain it to myself. "Different."

"You should hear yourself when it happens. There's kind of a wet, gloppy, crackling sound." She crinkled her nose in the way that I loved. "It's really gross."

A strange mix of embarrassment and relief washed over me. I let out a breath. "I don't hear it. I guess I'm preoccupied with the pain."

"It hurts?"

"Yeah. Especially my arm." I showed her that I'd taped it again.

"I didn't think of that."

Her brow furrowed, and I saw she was working things out, probably understanding why I healed so fast.

We rocked for a few minutes.

"If you bit me, would I turn?" she asked.

"I don't think so. No one bit me."

Brittany frowned. "That doesn't jive with the movies at all."

Right. If this were the movies, I really would be a monster. I'd be ripping people apart instead of watching over her while she slept.

"Well, there's only one thing to do." She slapped her knee. "We have to go shopping."

I stopped the swing. "Huh?"

She stood, clutching her purse. "Would it be okay if I cleaned up in your bathroom?"

"I think so," I said, still confused about how shopping would help me. "Uncle Bob is asleep."