Part 40 - The Killer

We left the grandmaster abruptly. I think Brittany noticed my soured mood. We didn't speak on the way home, each entertaining our own thoughts. In my uncle's driveway, we sat in silence for a moment.

At last, I said, "Why did you take me there?"

"I was hoping for something that would make you stop being a werewolf. For a while, I thought we were on the right track. All that talk of transformation and moon madness." Brittany looked at me. "What did she mean about you wanting to stop evil?"

"I have no idea. I don't go hunting for trouble."

She nodded, then motioned to the house. "It doesn't look like your uncle is home."

"He's gone a lot." I didn't much like being alone. You'd think I'd be used to it, me being the only child of two doctors. But Uncle Bob was out more and more. I was beginning to think my presence cramped his style. "Do you want to come in?"

"I can't stay long."

Brittany handed me one of the bags with the candles, and we walked slowly to the porch. The wind was damp and chilling. I opened the door and held it for her.

"Doesn't he ever lock up?" she asked.

"Nope." I smiled. "Don't tell anyone."

We went to my room and dumped the bags onto my bed. One of the brass candleholders bounced to the floor. I checked it for damage.

"Here." She handed me her keys. "Find due north."

"You have a compass on your keychain?"

"Of course."

She apparently didn't find that unusual, so I shrugged and found due north.

Brittany placed a chunky white candle on the point. Then she went around the room setting down more candles-south, east, and west. "Do you have matches?"

"Ah, no."

"You'll have to get some. You need to keep these lit at all times, even when you're not here."

"Uncle Bob won't like that." I wondered about home insurance.

"It's necessary. That way, you'll have a haven to come back to. White purifies. You'll feel a difference in the room soon."

I felt a difference just having her there. "What about the prism?"

"It will reflect dark spirits from your window so they can't enter. We need a small nail or maybe a thumbtack."

I frowned. My uncle would have what we needed in the shed, but I hated to rummage through his things. "Let me check the junk drawer. Be right back."

I hurried to the kitchen and opened the drawer. It overflowed with rubber bands, bits of electrical wire, and mini-golf pencils. In the back, I found a small hammer and a prescription bottle filled with nails. I even found a book of matches.

"Got it," I called as I rushed to my room. I stopped in the doorway.

Brittany sat on my bed, putting the extra candles in a bag. She was so beautiful. I wanted to kiss her, wanted to lean her back against my pillow and touch her skin.

A flush heated my cheeks. I avoided her eyes. "Where do you want the nail?"

"Centered on top."

I thought belatedly that I might need a chair to stand on, but I must have grown a bit in the past few weeks. I had no trouble driving a nail above the window. She handed me the prism, and I hung it from its monofilament cord. Color danced over my walls.

Close beside me, Brittany reached up and sent it spinning. I looked into her face, inches from mine. My heart skipped, and my mouth went dry. I licked my lips.

She stepped away. "Got to go. I have a lot of things to do before my mother gets home."

"I'd be glad to help."

"Thanks, but it will be quicker if I do it myself. I kind of have a routine." She picked up her purse.

"Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Sadly, no. I already have plans. It's Mom's only day off." She smiled. "But maybe we can include you next Sunday."

"Shopping with your mother? I'll have to think about that."

"Will you turn into a wolf tonight?"

I was stricken by her matter-of-fact tone. "I don't think so. I feel pretty normal."

"Good. We don't need any more shocking revelations."

I stood on the porch as she drove away. When she was gone, the full impact of the day's events struck me. I was the luckiest guy in the world. She'd seen me, she knew what I was and still wanted to be my friend. I didn't expect that at all.

Humming, I went inside to make a grilled peanut butter and bacon sandwich. The day couldn't have turned out better. With Brittany's help, I knew I would break the curse. I would be normal again.

I ate over the sink, then wiped the skillet clean with a paper towel. Wind gusted through the window. The rain had moved on, and the temperature plummeted. I went to my room to light my candles. As I gazed at the prism, I thought it wasn't so bad living in Florida.

Had Brittany hinted that she wanted me to meet her mother?

I pulled my laptop from under my bed intending to check the weather. This was the coldest I felt since I moved here. It was kind of exciting. But the computer reminded me of the photos Eff posted on the Internet. That jerk. I still didn't know how to respond to his latest challenge.

Was Eff the evil the grandmaster was talking about?

My good mood deflated once more. Eff was a no-good jock, but I didn't think he was the evil that threatened Brittany. It was someone else, someone I didn't expect. A shocking revelation.

I booted the computer. The local newsfeed was on my desktop. My mood fell further as I read the headlines. Two More Bodies Found.

The story said one body was two days dead. The other was barely cold. The victims had their throats torn out and were partially disemboweled. Forensics now said that while it looked like an animal attack, the teeth marks were too large, and the slashes didn't match any known beast. The sheriff's department said they suspected a person or persons unknown armed with a jawbone. If the jaw were mounted on an axe handle or baseball bat, it would produce the type of wounds found on the victims. The attacks were officially classed as murders.

My mouth dropped. I stumbled from bed and rushed into the living room. The jawbone, the big old jawbone that my uncle used as a paperweight was gone.

"Oh my God," I said. "Uncle Bob is the killer."