Chapter Ten

Christine didn't speak to Lindsey and Stevie for the next few weeks.

She returned to England while Fleetwood Mac continued their tour, performing sold out shows throughout the US and seemingly having the time of their lives. Christine kept in touch with Mick and John regularly, but ignored Lindsey and Stevie's occasional calls and emails. She figured their attempts at contact were perfunctory and superficial. Buckingham Nicks didn't need her, and she tried to convince herself that she didn't need them.

Determined to not mope around, Christine kept the momentum going by meeting with her agent and manager to devise a plan for her comeback. She found out that videos of her performance in Maui had gone viral, and her old Christine McVie songs were circulating on the radio again. It seemed like the world was hers for the taking, and despite all the recent road bumps and drama, she still wanted it. Badly.

"So, my agent thinks a solo career is totally doable," Christine told Mick one night over the phone while she made dinner. "He says I have to be willing to do more press than I was doing before, and I think I'm up for it this time around."

"If you say so."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Christine questioned, put off by his lack of enthusiasm.

Mick sighed. "Well, I always hoped your big comeback would be with us, and that's what you wanted, too. What happened to that big speech you gave in L.A. about 'not doing this with anyone besides the Mac'?"

"I wanted it until those two started their nonsense," Christine replied bluntly. "Lindsey still doesn't trust me and Stevie's jealous. It's more of the same old shit I used to deal with."

"Trust me, they miss you more than you know...especially Stevie," Mick tried to explain to her. "She's tried to reach out to you a couple of times, you know."

"I know that," Christine said as she added onions to the stir-fry. "And I'm not ready yet."

"John and I were discussing that all five of us should have a round table meeting to try to resolve past conflicts," Mick said. "Get everything out in the open and move past it."

"Wow, have you got 5 hours?" Christine laughed darkly. "It's going to take more than one meeting to sort out decades worth of problems and history. You know that, right?"

"It's worth a try, don't you think?"

"Well, good luck with that, Michael. Work on trying to get Stevie, Lindsey, and me in a room together first, and then we'll see about the talking part."

----

Christine sat in her sunroom reading with a sleepy Charlie by her feet, glancing occasionally at the envelope that lay beside her. She had immediately recognised the dreamy handwriting when she'd fetched the mail, and had cast it aside, not wanting to deal with what the author had to say. But as the sun descended lower and golden hour began, Christine felt her fingertips itching with the desire to open it, and soon enough, the temptation proved too enticing to ignore.

She broke the seal and the air was filled with the scent of gardenia and tuberose. Christine held the piece of paper to her nose and breathed in deeply, transported to a time when she would bury her face in the neck of the person who still smelled like those distinct scents. Feeling slightly rattled, Christine unfolded the letter and her discomfort ebbed away when she took in the mindless doodles of birds and stars that framed the words. Smiling to herself, she began to read.

Dear Chris,

I don't know another way to get in touch with you, so I'm writing to you now. The tour is going really good but it's not the same without you. The boys and I really want you to come back to us, but I'll support you 100% with whatever choice you make. I know when you left we were not in the greatest place, and I'm worried you'll never speak to me again. Even if you don't, I need to know you're okay. Please be okay, Chris. And please let me know.