Chapter Two

Dawn broke to the east of Oneloa Beach and bathed the puffs of clouds floating over the ocean in a pale pink glow. Christine stood on the shoreline and watched the frothy waves lap over her feet in shimmery hues of violet and cream. The air had a crisp bite to it, and Christine wrapped her woolly cardigan tightly around her body as specks of salt clung on to her eyelashes—a gift from the ocean breeze. The lulling motion of each receding wave reflected Christine's own measured thoughts as she dug her feet into the moist sand, her toe-ring sparkling as it hit the light cast by the rapidly rising sun. She wriggled her toes through the thick granules, enjoying the feel of the rough texture against her skin.

The beautiful island had done wonders on Christine. She sported a permanent golden tan from endless days spent in the sunshine and her blue eyes matched the cerulean Maui skies. Christine hadn't felt so alive and in love with life in a long time, and with Mick's band performing at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center that night, Christine wondered whether she could surprise herself by doing the unthinkable.

Christine had accompanied Mick to a few gigs and watched on from backstage. The energy was palpable as Christine tapped her foot in time to the music with a glass of wine in hand. The stage lights weren't as harsh as she'd remembered, and the cheers from the small crowd were enticing and warm. Christine had found herself itching to join them to take her rightful place behind the keyboards and play as if no time had passed at all.

She turned away from the magnificent view and drove barefoot back to the house. The sand felt pleasant between her toes and the now fully risen sun shone spectacularly on her face, illuminating her blonde hair and warming Christine to her bones. She still couldn't fathom the 180-degree turn she had made, from rattling around alone in her sprawling house in Kent to finding her spark again in the magical island of Maui. Anything and everything seemed possible.

Christine was making herself a cup of coffee when she heard her phone ping. Her smile grew wider as she read the text message from John, telling Christine he couldn't wait to see her later and wishing her a great day. The prospect of being with John and Mick—her boys who had stuck by her from the very beginning—gave Christine the final push she needed, and she quickly called Mick's house phone before she lost her resolve.

"Mick speaking," he answered crisply.

"It's Chris," she replied while she drummed her fingers nervously on the countertop.

"Oh, morning. It's a bit early, isn't it? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Listen, I've been thinking a lot about your offer earlier." She took a deep breath. "Would you like me to sing?"

"Sing what?"

"Tonight, with your band. Like you suggested."

Mick was silent for a long time as he tried to comprehend the news. It wasn't often he was rendered speechless and Christine couldn't help but laugh to herself.

"Of course you can!" he shouted in delight, his booming voice causing Christine to nearly drop the phone. "I can't believe it! What changed your mind?"

"I don't know, Mick," Christine said. "I just want to. I'm feeling good and I think I'm ready. Don't ask me any more questions or I might fucking chicken out."

"Noted! I'll pick you up at 5 and we'll go to sound check together?"

"Sounds good." Christine smiled.

"I'm excited for you. Wow, Chris, welcome back." Mick stated proudly.

"Thanks darling, I'll see you later."

----

Half an hour before show time, Christine sat with the band in the Green Room backstage and tried to quell her nerves. She took a few deep breaths and thought about everything she had achieved over such a short amount of time. She had boarded a plane and left the country, and she finally felt safe to roam around in wide, open spaces. Christine pictured the marvellous sunrise over Oneloa Beach and reminded herself she was deserving of great things.