Chapter Seventeen

Twenty-thirteen was proving to be a prolific year for Christine. She had overcome her fear of flying, travelled around the United States, and had reunited with her love for composing great music. But amongst these monumental achievements, rekindling her romance with Stevie was the most prolific of them all. Their story was a flame preserved in a crystalline glass case, ready to explode into millions of dazzling sparks when both of them were—finally—in a good place. In the few days since Christine and Stevie had reignited their passions, Christine had reacquainted herself with the little things she had always loved about the petite songstress: the way she could never quite finish a cup of tea, and her sense of compassion and kindness that knew no bounds. The latter was in full display when Stevie dedicated Landslide in Christine's honour during Fleetwood Mac's final performance in London. Christine's eyes had welled with tears when she heard Stevie describe her as her "best friend" and someone who had "served so many purposes in my life." Those words had propelled Christine to deliver her best performance of Don't Stop yet... and her vigour and passion continued later on, when she and Stevie met for another tryst in Christine's apartment.

Now that they were both clear-headed and sober compared to their first relationship, Christine's sexual appetite for Stevie was stronger than ever. She swept her eyes over the golden-haired siren's sweaty form, and decided to voice her desires, internally crossing her fingers that Stevie was up for it.

"A strap on?" Stevie giggled, her bemused reaction causing Christine to blush furiously.

"It's only a suggestion," Christine replied, giving Stevie a reassuring peck on the lips. "We don't have to if you don't want to."

Stevie ran her hands through Christine's sex-mussed hair and kissed her deeply. "Oh I want to. You kind of threw me off, that's all."

Christine smiled and hooked Stevie's thigh over her hip. She suggestively thrust her core against her girl's and murmured:

"Well, give me a few days to sort it out, gorgeous. I can't wait to experience this with you."

----

It was only a matter of time before everyone was going to find out. Christine was doing a spring clean of her London flat when she received a call from Stevie a few hours prior to Fleetwood Mac's Birmingham show.

"Me and that asshole are officially finished. Fuck him." Stevie began before Christine even had the chance to say hello.

"Sorry?" Christine frowned, rinsing out a sponge and placing it on the kitchen sink. "What happened?"

"I found out from Sharon that he was talking shit about my Sula," Stevie explained. "I'm never gonna forgive him for this, Chris. He's going around telling the crew that Sulamith has no brains and is 'better off as a carpet'. Who the fuck says that? He's just holding on to old bullshit about Sulamith pissing in his studio a few times. Like, get over it."

"Are you sure Sharon heard it right?" Christine asked her reasonably. "We all know how Chinese whispers work...especially on a long tour."

"I don't fucking care. You know I don't tolerate anyone talking shit about Sulamith. She's my soul mate."

Christine nodded, tracing the cold ridges of the draining board. "So, what happened when you confronted Lindsey?"

"He denied the carpet thing but did admit to calling Sulamith stupid. Look, whatever he said or didn't say, it doesn't matter. The damage is done. I told him he can kiss our relationship goodbye. I'm back with you now, and happier than ever."

Christine froze. "Wait, you told Lindsey about us? I was hoping we could do it together. How did he react?"

"Does it really matter?" Stevie sighed. "He wasn't surprised. He said he knew we were fucking all along and you're more than welcome to have me, because he doesn't want me anymore."