CRACK 17

✧✧✧

Zane's P.O.V

I took the document, signed, witnessed, and dated, along with Azrail's copy of his advance directive, with me to the hospital the following morning, but I didn't want to use it. Despite my bravado over the two bottles of Chianti I had shared with Astra and Kairon the evening before, the morning light and my hangover made the handwriting on that date, July 2, 2020, waver and blink, calling attention to itself, causing the ink to look wet, too fresh. Anyone could see it was fake, and if the deed was discovered, my chance of convincing a court to let Azrail stay with me should he become incompetent would be seriously damaged, not to mention what might happen to me. My knees were weak as I rode the elevator, the papers in my backpack.

I was surprised to find Dr. Brandy finished with his evaluation of Azrail by the time I arrived. Mr. and Mr. Dixon were there too. I saw the three of them conversing over Azrail's chart at the nursing station as I headed for Azrail's room.

Azrail was dressed, sitting on his bed. "Where the hell have you been?" he asked. "I've been calling you all morning."

"I've been on my way here. What's happening?"

"What we were afraid of."

"The hospital discharged you already."

"Yes. My parents and Brandy are making the arrangements to get me to Ilocos."

"But they can't do that!"

"How am I supposed to stop them?"

"Refuse. Just tell them no."

"The psychiatrist can sedate me, you know."

"Just like that? Without your permission?"

"My parents are in charge, Zane. The hospital recognizes them as my next of kin."

"They wouldn't--"

"Alzane, I'll need to ask you to leave."

I turned around. It was Dr. Brandy, with Mr. and Mrs. Dixon behind him.

"I'm not going anywhere," I said.

"I have Azrail's parents here, his next of kin--"

"I'm not going anywhere, either," Azrail said, trying to stand. I held on him.

"Sit down, Azrail," I said.

"No," he responded. "Pa, Ma, why don't you come in here instead of hiding behind Dr. Brandy?"

Dr. Brandy glanced over his shoulder as Mr. Dixon stepped forward, gently easing the doctor aside. Mrs. Dixon remained behind her husband, her eyes wide.

"I have nothing to hide," Mr. Dixon declared. "It's time you stopped being childish, Azrail. As your parents, and given your current mental state, we have every right to take you home with us. Don't make us take measures to force you to cooperate."

"There isn't a measure you can take to make me leave Zane," Azrail said. He began to waver, leaning on me.

"Sit down, Azrail," I said. "Please."

"Let's not make a scene by getting hospital security involved," Dr. Brandy said.

"I'm not going," Azrail said.

"This is crazy," I said. "Can't you see he's too weak? Can't you hear he doesn't want to go?" I thought of the papers, glancing at my backpack on the floor, then quickly looking away.

"Can't you see that it isn't important what he wants, but what he needs?" Mr. Dixon asked. Mrs. Dixon nodded emphatically.

"But they're the same!" I wailed.