Chapter Fifty - The Manor

Draco held his head high with each step, crushing acorn shells and amber leaves, while his torn heart rattled in his chest.

Walking down the imposing drive, with gravel underfoot and the sun rising over his shoulder. Past thickets of brambles and apple orchards; beyond neat hedgerow and wisteria. To a house, shrouded in mist and bad luck.

He was followed closely, by the two aurors escorting him home. A tight-lipped pair, with severe attitude problems and matching cropped hairstyles. Who wouldn't stand a chance, if he really wanted to run. But his future was precariously hanging in the balance - he couldn't afford another misstep.

There would be a full report and investigation into the night. The fight, the bloodshed. And Draco didn't want to add to that terrible account, by evading two aurors, who would happily slander his name.

So, he followed the rules. Including the strict Ministry regulations introduced after the battle, which placed him under indefinite house arrest, if he wasn't attending Hogwarts.

The authorities feared his ties to the missing death eater's. Regardless of their frequent 'meetings' with his father, where copious amounts of veritaserum were wasted - it was impossible to build trust.

Shacklebolt didn't want Draco to be free; communicating or smuggling supplies to Bellatrix, Dolohov, or any of the rest. It didn't matter if he swore his allegiance to the right side - he was always at risk of being forced to comply, through blackmail or an imperious curse. So, it was safer to limit his freedom to school and the Manor.

I want a life, a future, where Ophelia has everything she wants and I have the power to be that man. So, she never has to look elsewhere. So, her eyes never have to leave my face.

But in the meantime, I have to be patient. I have to fix the mess we're in first. I need to get back to school and then I can work on earning Shacklebolt's trust, so I can lead a normal life.

I'd face another trail before the Wizengamot - I'd give up all my memories - anything, so I can leave this fucking Manor once I graduate!

I always want her to be happy and I know she wasn't last week. Partly because of my choices - but mainly because of those scheming bastards.

That's why I got Millicent to take Phi to London. It's why I rushed Nott, to make their portkey in time.

I had to give up my selfish wants - to be that person, to explore the city with her fresh eyes. To take her on proper dates, like every normal couple in the stories she likes.

For so long, I imagined taking her to my favourite galleries past midnight, so we had the halls to ourselves. To kiss like Klimt's lovers. To stargaze under Van Gogh's sky and meander through Monet's gardens.

I would watch her eyes aglow with admiration, over the brushstrokes and vivid colours. To listen out for her favourite - so I know which to steal and hang above her bed.

I would let her take these leisurely vacations between each frame, capturing that artists's corner of the world - until I felt jealous and asked her to look at me instead.

I dreamt of breaking into ballrooms, to dance. And sneaking past guards to hijack the Crown Jewels. Of dining in frivolous restaurants, with tiny portions and expensive wine. To kissing on hotel balconies, feeling invincible as our hair sailed on the wind.

I wanted to play muggle for a day. To be Draco and Ophelia, without limits, or history.

That's what I think it would be like...to be free. And it might sound stupid but it's what I wanted. It's what I still want.