Chapter Seventeen - The Ball

I'm going stag when I look this good - ridiculous!

She didn't know what to make of Blaise's outburst. He was so consumed by jealousy and insecurity – the opposite of the confident and kind boy she thought she knew.

Mum would tell me to avoid him at all costs. She bit her lip, but there's a big difference between knowing the right thing to do, and following that advice...

She was unsure where that left them. Unsure of what she still felt for him. He'd have to be very bloody sorry.

Fiddling with her hair, she carefully drew on a layer of mauve lipstick. Keeping her hand still as she manoeuvred her defined cupids-bow. Perfect.

It pleased her to no end that Pansy's outfit didn't come close. The pair had not exchanged any words since the argument, only foul stares as they got ready in the dormitory. Luckily Millicent's cheerful rambling kept the tension at bay.

Walking into the common room, she revelled in all the eyes on her. Take that Blaise.

It wouldn't be so bad, Ron had already offered her at least one dance. She headed over to Millicent, Nott and Flint, who'd gathered beforehand for drinks. Nott couldn't shut his mouth as he looked her up and down before passing her a flask of firewhisky, 'I promise it's not spiked,' he winked, teasing.

She shoved his shoulder and took a swig. I'm definitely not keeping sober tonight.

She kept her eyes from wandering around the room. The mere sight of Blaise - too soon - would send her running back to the dormitory. She'd never argued with anyone like that before. And she doubted his fury would have settled already.

Draco couldn't take his eyes off her, but she hadn't even noticed him - hadn't even looked in his direction.

A selfish part of him was pleased to hear about Blaise's outburst. Now she'll know what he's truly like. But mostly he hoped she was okay. She certainly looks okay...more than that...she looks beautiful.

Stop thinking about her – she's not interested. She's worried about him, not you. But I can at least try and get closer. Walking over to the group with as much nonchalance as he could muster.

He was used to acting, almost a professional by now, with his mask securely fastened.

His freshly pressed black suit looked marvellous, but he was not in the mood for a ball. He'd only worn it for her attention. One admiring look would make it all worthwhile but she was oblivious.

Ophelia's exposed skin pimpled with goosebumps as she felt his presence behind her. Her body stiffening as she became more self-conscious, more aware of the view of her bare back in his face. If he's even looking...

They had not spoken since their evening at the Black Lake. But Ophelia wanted things to be normal. She didn't need any more conflict. Extending her hand, she offered him the flask.

It gave her a chance to enjoy the moment his indifferent expression fell, supplying a small smile.

~

The great hall had been transformed beyond measure. The room was illuminated by suspended candles, and sconces burning a bright orange flame. The tables had vanished, leaving the dancefloor clear, for the crowd of students. Who were all focused on the live band performing at the front of the room, on a raised platform. While the ceiling was decorated by suspended gold banners, and glitter that continuously cascaded to the floor. With servers carrying trays laden with champagne, butterbeer, and canapés.