Chapter Nineteen - The Letter

Malfoy had run at the first opportunity. On a night that Ophelia didn't think could get any worse. But somehow he managed it. Leaving without a word, completely ignoring her calling out to him. And I never do that, she thought.

How dare he lead me on - be all romantic and then leave? He should have waited to see what I had to say, to see if I was okay.

Idiot.

She scowled as she stared at her reflection, removing her makeup. Boys. Useless bloody boys. She'd had enough. Although, Ophelia thanked her lucky stars that Blaise was nowhere to be seen when she got back.

Sighing as she pulled the duvet around herself. He can be tomorrow's problem.

~

The school owl found her in the library, where she was spending another day avoiding everyone. She laughed to herself, Hogwarts is definitely not going as planned.

Part of her feared returning to the common room, in case Malfoy had already told everyone. She could see him sat there, curled into Pansy's embrace, as they relayed to the group how successfully their little plan had gone.

That the new girl had fallen straight for their scheme. I let my guard down, I should have been vigilant - I should have guessed they would try something else.

He probably left because he knew it was going too far for Pansy's liking. I wouldn't have gone further than kissing, but he didn't know that.

I'm such a fool.

Just from looking at the envelope, she recognised Fleur's flawless handwriting. She had anticipated this response for hours, which had felt like days, since she was so anxious.

She felt claustrophobic suddenly – sick – she wanted to flee to the privacy of her room to read the letter. Stashing it into her pocket, she raced away.

Without looking her body collided with someone. A harsh blow to the head, forced her to stumble backwards. Reeling as pain shot through her skull, she clutched a hand to her head. Focusing on steadying her breathing

Thankfully, she had taken more of Millicent's hangover tonic, this morning, otherwise she would have collapsed on impact.

But all these techniques to regain composure were forgotten when she realised who stood before her.

Draco spoke sharply, practically spitting out each word, as he glared down at her, 'keep out of my fucking way!'

She looked up in shock as she saw no trace of guilt on his face. Not for last night - not for crashing into her now - and not for speaking to her so rudely. 

Her eyes narrowed, her features twisting into a furious grimace, as she beheld him. At a loss for words, she turned, stalking away from him. Great – just my luck. What an asshole.

How the hell did I kiss that prick?

She ignored her feelings since she had more important things to deal with. Rushing faster as the letter burned in her pocket.

In the safety of her four-poster bed, she cast the muffliato charm, and took several deep breaths. She didn't think Fleur would have answers about her necklace, but she hadn't known who else to ask.

She knew Fleur would find some cunning way to extract answers from Bill, without telling him outright. He had worked for Gringott's, in the curse breakers division, so maybe he has an idea...

~

Dear Phi,

First, I have missed you terribly. Selfishly I can't wait for the Christmas holidays. But, second – I hope you are having a wonderful time. Bill says he hopes Ginny and Ron are looking after you. He was just as shocked about you being put in Slytherin. Although, I've always secretly thought they were the most exciting house!