Chapter Twenty-Four - Stars Aligned

Draco loitered on the seventh floor, anxiously adjusting his cufflinks. I really need a shot of firewhisky. Why am I so nervous? This is far from my first date - get a grip.

During his silent pep-talk, Ophelia turned onto the corridor. Her butterflies multiplying with each step closer, until she felt weightless

She looks great – she always does – but he couldn't ignore a slight sinking feeling about her outfit. He'd seen what she wore on her date with Blaise...and it was certainly more exciting than school robes.

It's my fault I didn't tell her to dress up... He felt out of place in his suit trousers and shirt. But she was here and that's all that mattered.

Ophelia peered at him quizzically as he grasped her hand, leading her the length of the corridor three times. If she hadn't been so nervous she would have protested.

Weaving backwards and forwards until she was convinced this was part of a practical joke. Until suddenly, the wall they passed, began to shift.

The blank stone gradually transformed to reveal an elaborate design, twisting around a grand doorframe. The ground creaked as the carving became more defined. Which within minutes resembled a dark wooden door, embossed with black metal.

Ophelia knew her mouth hung open. It made the Slytherin common room door – which also appeared from stone – pale into insignificance. The entrance towering to the ceiling.

Trust Draco to know every secret spot. Following his lead into the room.

She was breathless – speechless. The room of stone mimicked the magnificence of the great hall, just on a smaller scale. The candles suspended in the air above filled the space with a warm, flickering glow.

However, here, the enchanted ceiling was a detailed view of the solar system, the stars twinkling beautifully. She'd never seen anything like it.

In the middle of the room was a small table, set for two. Her hand flew to her mouth as she gasped. Red rose petals decorated the surrounding floor, and a bouquet sat in a glass vase on the table. Beside that was a bottle of red wine and two portions of tender duck.

Mumbling through her shock, 'what...what is this place?'

'It's a long story but people call it the Room of Requirement. It adapts to your needs – within reason... Tonight, this is what I wanted it to resemble.' He hovered awkwardly on his feet, nervous for her judgment. He was too embarrassed to admit that he'd sourced the decorations.

'The...the ceiling...' she stammered.

His cheeks flushed. He could barely admit to himself how long this idea had lived in his head. The room had understood, brought his imagination to life. The concept had fine-tuned over time, but he had always been sure of the candles. When she'd walked into the Great Hall that first night, he felt drawn to her. He hadn't paid attention to the wildfire of gossip that spread the room, upon her entrance. While everyone debated her reasons for transferring or her family origins, he learnt as much as possible by watching.

He could have studied her for hours.

Ophelia had stared at the ceiling in the Great Hall with such wonder...such awe, that he knew she'd never seen anything like it. The novelty had worn off very quickly for him, but he was used to elaborate decorations and...it wasn't exactly his style. But it had made her feel something, that he was sure of.

The look of disbelief on her face when the sorting hat had chosen Slytherin made him feel ashamed. He knew all too well what people thought about their house.