The Movie Buff

Dear you,

If you knew me a few years ago, you'd know that my favourite place to go was the cinema hall. Didn't even matter which one. Stale popcorn, bad seats, crazy timings...They rarely mattered. I just had eyes for that 70 mm screen.

Was it the stories that unfolded over the course of the next 2-3 hours? The anticipation of getting to know a whole new set of characters? The experience of just being there in that cold AC hall forgetting everything and everyone else for some time?

Or maybe just all of it.

Tell me about you. What was your first film? Was it even in the theatres? I'm not a snob, you know. I have a new found love for watching movies at home. If you knew me now, you'd see me folding into the sofa and settle in for the night in front of the TV, surrendering myself to another movie that would get to know me as I got to know it.

But I watched some great ones in the theatre. I skipped college one day and watched Jab We Met. And, here's the deal I'll make you. I hate getting up early in the morning but if you wish, we can talk at 5 in the morning sitting atop a tractor. Let's not miss any trains though, okay?

I missed Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara and watched it a year later on my computer. Yes, I know it's one of the best movies ever. Yes, I will watch it again with you whenever you wish. Yes, we can go to Spain and wander down the streets in the middle of the night and lie down in a park to watch the stars.

I'll be honest. I haven't seen SO MANY good films yet. If you heard my 'to-be-watched' list, you'd need to sit down for a bit. You'd then probably hold my hand and make me sit right next to you to watch all of them immediately. 

When I close my eyes, I can still picture the day I watched Avengers Endgame in the theatres. I will carry that day in my heart for the rest of my life. It is a piece of pop culture history that I am a part of. And so are you. Oh, I know you were in the theatre too. Probably not the same one as mine. Probably not even in the same city as me. But you were there. Watching. Reacting. Feeling. I know in my heart that when that hammer lifted from the ground and flew into the worthy one's hands, the goosebumps didn't just hit me. It isn't just me who hears the word 'Assemble' differently anymore.

Sigh. Our television will play the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies over and over again, you just know it. So do I.

Back when there were no online portals, I used to wait in line for the tickets. Alongside so many others who just like me, loved the movies. But I didn't pay attention. When that freshly-printed ticket hit my hand, I needed to rush to the hall and watch that movie pronto.

But one day, a time will come when I will walk back again and stand in line. Wait for a ticket. Take it in my hand. Only this time, I I'll look back. Maybe, just maybe...You'll look up and wave.

Until then...

All my love,

Me.